Why are you a former cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SuffolkBlue

I didn't ride for a while because i had a gallstone that got stuck in my bile duct and cause jaundice, fatigue and the need to spend a lot of time in hospital. Im back on it now while i await the removal of my gallbladder but my fitness is a joke.
Same here!! Unfortunately I also developed acute pancreatitis as the stone was blocking that duct as well. The bright side is that it expedited my Cholecystectomy which I had in Jan 23. I started back cycling around April but no where near as fit as I was but I'll get there eventually.
If you feel like you want to discuss any personal experiences regarding the planned surgery then just drop me a PM.:smile:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Not enjoying the roads any more. The traffic just seems to keep getting heavier by the day. You can almost feel the impatience and aggression emanating from the vehicles that have to wait even a few seconds to get past.

I was only thinking that the other day. It seems to have come all of a sudden. My parents were in their car just before Christmas, going the speed limit, and a BMW driver was tooting his horn and flashing his lights behind them. Dad thought his boot was open or something like that, but no, the driver was intimidating them for keeping to the speed limit and promplty did a dangerous overtake and sped off

Dave7

Legendary Member
Double whammy first the Hydrocele a swelling of one of the veg,then the shock of cancer.Which i am glad to say has retreated under the attack from chemo.Just this morning i am going into town to buy some cycling shorts from Decathlon,i intend to start April May time once again,it's going to be fabulous.

Good on you, well done.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Like many others I have health problems aged 88 but it was lack of balance which put me off 2 wheels.
I now still ride but have currently 2 recumbent trikes, one tadpole and one delta with e assist. Currently bad weather keeps me from getting out.
Traffic in summer can be busy by our past standards but I never really feel in danger it is just a bit of a nuisance on single track roads. The roads I use plus a good cycle path on the mainland are better than here and I cycle over there as often as possible.

Sharky

Guru
I've been close to being a "former" cyclist a few times in my 60+ years of cycling.

Babies, now grand children, job changes, hosp appointments, broken bones and caring for our daughter, all took their toll and slowed/stopped my cycling activities.

Fortunately, the elastic never broke completely and after a while, was always pulled back into the cycling fold.

2023 has been a low year, but not completely stopped, but now determined to get to the start line of our evening 10's in April and get under 30mins again. Reasonable target for a 74 yo!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Like many others I have health problems aged 88 but it was lack of balance which put me off 2 wheels.
I now still ride but have currently 2 recumbent trikes, one tadpole and one delta with e assist. Currently bad weather keeps me from getting out.
Traffic in summer can be busy by our past standards but I never really feel in danger it is just a bit of a nuisance on single track roads. The roads I use plus a good cycle path on the mainland are better than here and I cycle over there as often as possible.

Hats off to you OW..... you are an inspiration.
I am a mere child of 76 though there are days when I feel 96 but that's physically. Mentally I do my best to stay young.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I crashed in Feb 2018 and broke my collar bone. Although I’ve had hundreds of prangs (mostly MTBing) and all sorts of scars and bruises, I’d never broken anything.

I found myself terrified to get back in the saddle and hadn’t ridden again until a few weeks ago on holiday. That was the best day of my holiday.

However, since I’m now retired there’s no need for me to resume my regular commute and the level of motor traffic just puts me off generally now.

Sharky

Guru
I crashed in Feb 2018 and broke my collar bone. Although I’ve had hundreds of prangs (mostly MTBing) and all sorts of scars and bruises, I’d never broken anything.

I found myself terrified to get back in the saddle and hadn’t ridden again until a few weeks ago on holiday. That was the best day of my holiday.

However, since I’m now retired there’s no need for me to resume my regular commute and the level of motor traffic just puts me off generally now.

That was one of my low points. Have broken both sides and other bones. Did lose confidence for a while. After a while on a static turbo, ventured out on the roads, very gingerly. Turning right, looking over my shoulder was a problem, but generally kept to anticlockwise routes.

Confidence will return.
Good luck

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
So sorry to hear some of the tales of woe in this thread. The very best of luck to all of you, and I hope some of you are able to get back out on the bike one day soon. In my travels around the country I have discovered a few nice traffic free trails (Tarka Trail, Mawddach Trail, Strawberry Line, Bristol & Bath Railway Path etc) and can recommend them for a good traffic free ride on a road bike. I shall certainly be keen to experience others such as the Monsal Trail and the Drake Trail as and when I get the chance.

I can certainly understand all the fear of collisions. There are whole tracts of the country where it seems impossible to get anywhere without navigating huge roundabouts, fast flowing dual carriageways and busy slip roads. That is where the "Your Ride Today" thread has come in so useful to me over the years. I have stolen many an idea from there. I can also recommend taking a look at the Audax UK website for ideas. You can't always see the exact routes of individual audax events without entering them, but the entry fees are low (not like sportives) and many of my most enjoyable routes in or near Gloucestershire have been inspired by the routes of audax events. I have discovered some great low traffic country lanes that way, and I sometimes make my own routes up to mix parts of two or more audaxes together. Worth taking a look.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
At 70 I just decided that was enough. My balance at low speed was becoming a problem and old bones don't bounce like they used to so that was that. I still take an interest in cycling but have no desire to ride a bike.

I really miss it and would splash the cash on an ebike in an instant if it wasn't for that bl**dy long covid stealing my balance. Each year I think 'maybe come spring I can do it' but sadly not.

Top Bottom