Why are you a former cyclist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I no longer ride a "proper" bike. But I do have a nice ebike and, when the weather gets a bit kinder, I shall be back out on it.
Mrs Salad has a bit of trouble with her knees and with one hip, and I am beginning to get some hip pains (we are both in mid 60's) so we both have ebikes now.....

Hopefully, tomorrow sees the beginning of ceasing to be a former cyclist, with the arrival of a s/h frame for me to transfer components onto. Now just need the weather to actually do the work...

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
From the report of Laura Kenny's retirement..

Kenny, who is married to former cyclist Sir Jason Kenny -

Hard to believe, I'm sure Jason is a former Olympian, but I bet he is still more of a cyclist than me.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Am now a fair weather cyclist, at 72 i just take it a bit easier, cancer a couple of years ago slowed me right down, lost a lot of weight and stamina, have had years of riding in all weather, so been there done that, now all i want to do is ride in the sun, had my first ride of the year last Saturday 26 smiles, the last time i rode before that was in Spain last November, Just want that sun to shine.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I don’t like getting cold and wet anymore so I use an indoor training bike during the winter months. But a winter of training in the safety of your own home builds up an anxiety of going back out on the open roads in springtime especially in view of all the potholes, debris, roadworks and impatient drivers out there. A few years ago I ended up with a prolapse disc as a result of a pothole, so potholes are a very real concern for me. The damage caused by prolapse disc has never fully healed, it’s more a case of managing the ongoing pain. Right now the open roads are calling to me again, it’s just I’ve not yet taken the plunge.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I don’t like getting cold and wet anymore so I use an indoor training bike during the winter months. But a winter of training in the safety of your own home builds up an anxiety of going back out on the open roads in springtime especially in view of all the potholes, debris, roadworks and impatient drivers out there. A few years ago I ended up with a prolapse disc as a result of a pothole, so potholes are a very real concern for me. The damage caused by prolapse disc has never fully healed, it’s more a case of managing the ongoing pain. Right now the open roads are calling to me again, it’s just I’ve not yet taken the plunge.
Sounds like a country and western song in the making. ^_^

• Laugh
Reactions: JtB

gbb

Legendary Member
Cumulative effects of..
Tuberculosis contracted at work in 2013. Complications were pneumonia and pleurisy that, like THMNET went undiagnosed for several months. The damage to my lungs resulted In when demanding oxygen through exercise, a delay in its delivery which left you gasping almost even just walking up stairs.
2 years off the bike, once I got restarted, the stamina just couldn't be rebuilt but, I had maybe a year of steady commuting, got a bit back.
Then osteo arthritis set in and i simply can't stress my hips, through physical work or cycling, it's just too painful.
I do a very very occasional meander in the good weather but even have to take it easy on an ebike, let the motor do the work.
From 6k miles per annum to maybe 100 miles pa nowadays

Funny how arthritis takes you. My hips were truly awful two or three years ago, I have come off the tools now at work and become more office based...my hips while better still struggle but the arthritis seems to attack different joints at different times. Went through a phase of my big toes joint being really sore...still get it a bit but now it's my knuckles...bogger they're sore.
I still reminisce about some of my regular rides out into the countryside, wonderful days...but it doesn't bother me, you can't do what you can't do...

MikeG

Guru
I've never thought of myself as an ex-cyclist.........and I'm not. But I have been. I had a big crash about 19 months ago. I hit a pot hole, apparently, and splattered myself over the tarmac. I was unconscious for a while, and the only thing I can remember of the whole few hours was the police car across the road, shutting it. I lost a lot of flesh, and cut my face fairly badly (yes, I was wearing a helmet). My wife, who was riding with me (and who hadn't called out the pothole!), took her shirt off to staunch the blood, and some kind soul erected a gazebo over me as I lay on the tarmac (it was one of those near 40 degree days). I can't even remember getting into the ambulance. The first thing I can recall is my wife collecting me from hospital after I'd been stitched up.

The thing is, because I can't remember a thing I was fine to get back riding in a few weeks when all the wounds had healed, but my poor wife was utterly traumatised. She had thought I was dead when she first came back to me, lying on the road unresponsive, so she just couldn't cope with the thought of me riding again. We've ridden tens of thousands of trouble-free miles together over the years, but there was no way I could get back on a bike until she was ready, and that took nearly a year. We've done a few little 10 mile rides both together and alone, so finally we're getting over the trauma. We've got a St Davids to Lowestoft coast to coast tentatively planned for later this year, but she's still not confident, and it may not happen.

And before you ask....the bike was all-but fine. I did a great job of protecting it with my flesh.

Last edited:

GetFatty

Über Member
Haven’t completely given up but don’t cycle anywhere near as much. My fitness largely went when I gave up commuting and moved to full time wfh. LEL 2013 also damaged my motivation for long distance rides as I lacked a goal.

Slick

Guru
Haven’t completely given up but don’t cycle anywhere near as much. My fitness largely went when I gave up commuting and moved to full time wfh. LEL 2013 also damaged my motivation for long distance rides as I lacked a goal.

I'm much the same after 12 months wfh. Commuting was a great way of keeping fit.

Top Bottom