Why be efficient?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
onlyhuman said:
It may be a fact that they are more fun for you Joe, but not everybody agrees.

I don't really see what you are getting at with the rest of your comment. Heavier bikes without clips also generally have gears which you can use to make things harder, mechanically rather than magically. And I am already going pretty much as fast as I can on the disused wagonways and tracks where I cycle, and if my bike was superlight I'd be worrying about damaging it.
All I'm saying is that inneffecieny is not a good thing!
"But doesn't that mean you will have to ride further to get the same amount of exercise?"
Maybe, but you can get the same workout on a nicer bike in the same time, you will have just gone further and faster. A good thing!
I'm guessing you don't load your bike down with bricks for a better workout?

Dan B

Disengaged member
jimboalee said:
The No. 2 reason for cleated shoes on to the pedals is 'They don't lift off when you agressively pull the shoe up on the upstroke' :rolleyes:
That should read "they don't usually lift off ..."

When they do (low tension, worn cleat, etc) it may come as a big surprise. I accidentally kicked my front wheel hard while pulling away at a roundabout last week, and later that night realised I'd ridden home with a wheel so far out of true it stopped against the brake block on each revolution.

I *thought* it was a fierce headwind ...

Bill Gates

I started riding with clips and toe straps and shoes with plates that slotted on to the pedal . When I commuted the strap on my left pedal was not tightened so I could lift my shoe off the pedal without bending down to release the strap if I need to stop quickly.

The effectiveness of riding with clipless and toeclips with straps is exactly the same except there is much less mucking about with clipless pedals, although the cleats of some manufactureres wear out quite quickly compared to others. Certainly if your pedalling technique invloves dragging the foot upwards at the bottom of the stroke then you need the security of fastening your foot on to the pedal.

Personally I wouldn't want to get out of the saddle and dance on the pedals while worrying if my foot was going to slip off the pedal or not.

The picture shows me racing a 50 mile TT with clips and straps in 1980.

jimboalee

Bill Gates said:
I started riding with clips and toe straps and shoes with plates that slotted on to the pedal . When I commuted the strap on my left pedal was not tightened so I could lift my shoe off the pedal without bending down to release the strap if I need to stop quickly.

The effectiveness of riding with clipless and toeclips with straps is exactly the same except there is much less mucking about with clipless pedals, although the cleats of some manufactureres wear out quite quickly compared to others. Certainly if your pedalling technique invloves dragging the foot upwards at the bottom of the stroke then you need the security of fastening your foot on to the pedal.

Personally I wouldn't want to get out of the saddle and dance on the pedals while worrying if my foot was going to slip off the pedal or not.

The picture shows me racing a 50 mile TT with clips and straps in 1980.

Hey Bill, do you think you could keep up with Steve Jobs? :wacko:;)

montage

God Almighty
Onlyhuman .....if you really want to be inefficient to help boost your fitness, then find a long piece of rope and a tyre. Attatch the rope to the tyre, and then to your bike and proceed to drag it round you usual routes.

onlyhuman said:
I'm not convinced yet.

Me neither....

I cycle for pleasure/fitness, but not competition, so speed and efficiency are not parameters for my cycling enjoyment.

I have a spare pair of SPD pedals, and on a number of occasions, have wondered whether to 'invest' in road-cycling shoes.

2 things stop me.....

The first, unfortunately, is budget....everytime I have a spare £50, the wife, or daughter, or dog, (or a combination of all 3!) have a greater need for the cash!

The second is the question, "Do I really NEED them?", and I've managed to complete rides of 60+ miles on 4 occasions this last year without them. I'm looking to do 100+ very soon; I understand the science which people quote regarding the benefit of clipless, but, still I'm not convinced....

HTH :biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
You don't need them.

I guess few cyclists really need them. Cyclists with the use of only one leg do, track cyclists do (you don't want to be forever slipping your feet off the pedals there), road racers do (similarly, although without the risk of churning pedals whacking the shins'n'ankles) and cyclocross riders find them very useful (slippy mud combined with short steep climbs).

jimboalee

Bill Gates said:

Steve Jobs, co founder and Cheif Executive Officer of Apple Computer Inc, Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California buys his bikes and kit from Palo Alto Cycles.

He's quite handy on a bike BTW.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I'm cycling for exercise, to get fit. I understand that clipping your feet to the pedals is supposed to increase your efficiency. But doesn't that mean you will have to ride further to get the same amount of exercise?

If you are cycling non-competitively, is there any good reason for pedal clips?

Well, it means you will ride faster and you will ride farther. But it also will give you the ability to improve your riding technique and set you up to be able to join group rides, for fitness. Part of the fun is watching your own improvement and clipless pedals will help you enjoy your rides more. But you should do what works best for you.

Top Bottom