Why be happy when you can have a cross to bear - good news alert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Hi guys and gals

Many of you were very supportive before Christmas when family problems were getting to me and I made a New Year's resolution to become more emotionally resilient. Here is that thread. I appreciate the support you all gave me and thank you for it.

To cut a long story short, I have just completed the Hoffman process, which was a week-long retreat that involved looking at patterns of behaviour that I had inherited from my parents and they from theirs. Then I expressed my anger at my childhood and forgave my parents and myself. After that I rediscovered my sense of humour and had some fun with the others on the process. I will need to do ongoing work to reinforce what I learnt and make sure I am leading my life rather than the miserable life my family leads and wants me to lead too.

I feel much better and am confident the changes will be long-lasting. I have already noticed a change in how other people relate to me and want to keep hold of that.

I am not sure if my family will stay in my life in the same way as previously. I realise I have held grudges and so punished them for past hurts they inflicted on me; I plan to make amends. However I can only change myself and as long as they regard me as the scapegoat and the odd one out, I am better off keeping them at a distance while leaving the door open to a better relationship in future.

Glad to be back in the land of the living!

gbb

Legendary Member
Depends on the family I guess. I had a major fall out for a year with my mum and dad years ago.
When we did reconcile, I think we all realised family is everything and have never looked back.
Such a waste of a year that was.

Good on ya BTW, lifes too short to get bitter and twisted. I keep telling myself that...if only it was that easy :laugh:

Top Bottom