Why can I get some Freeview channels but not others?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I have a set-top box and aerial. I can get most Freeview channels but on some the interference is so bad they are unwatchable. Why is this? They all come from the same transmitter (Sutton Coldfield, about 10 miles from me)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't know, but having been grappling with some techy issues of my own recently, I've found the people on this forum very helpful and knowledgeable.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
You can get a booster box and they really do work...sometimes. You plug the aerial into that box and it amplifies the signal. Buy from Argos and that way, if it doesn't work you get hassle free returns. You'll need another power point though, as they come with a plug as well. Other than that, just try moving the aerial around the room, if the lead is long enough.

If, on the other hand, you're plugging into the wall...you may need a professional to come around and do the necessary.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you do have an indoor aerial, orientation is crucial. I get away with one because we have a local transmitter, but it took some fiddling to get it right. Your Freeview box should have a page in the setup which shows signal strength and quality, so watch those numbers while you adjust the aerial.

Another thing ... Some signals use vertical polarisation, some use horizontal. Your aerial should be set up to match. The aerial can be rotated through 90 degrees about its length.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
... Some signals use vertical polarisation, some use horizontal. Your aerial should be set up to match. The aerial can be rotated through 90 degrees about its length.
The Sutton Coldfield transmitter uses horizontal polarisation but I get a better picture with the aerial in a vertical position!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
http://www.aerialsandtv.com/suttoncoldfieldtx.html

I think SC transmits all 6 mux's so you'll need a braodband aerial

accountantpete

Brexiteer
There has been an issue in my area with 4G telephone signals interfering with free view signals. We had a flyer through the post round here explaining the issues and how best to sort it.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Check the com7 mux - it is on reduced power compared to the very high powered other muxes. If the programs on this mux are the ones you are having problems with then you know the basic cause.
I think this could be the answer (or something like it) - all the stations that I have problems with are on the com6 mux. The com7 stations (BBC News, etc) are fine though.

Last edited:
I live about two miles from a massive transmitter at Hannington. On the old analogue signal we used that one. Now on digital I cannot get it as there is a hill in the way. I have to use a booster to pick up from miles away.

I have a feeling that not all transmitters had all the digital channels as some bands were used for analogue still. May be worth re-tuning to see what is around. Also see what way everyone else is pointing their aerials.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
How good is your aerial? Being only 10 miles from Sutton, it could be that the signal is too strong. Our aerial is pointed at Waltham, and when after analogue switch-off they ramped up the signal strengths, we had problems getting the right regional news because the tuner was finding Sutton Coldfield before Waltham as the SC muxes are on lower channel numbers.

Top Bottom