Why can't I buy tripe nowadays ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have never eaten it and have no desire.......it looks disgusting.
However, the 95 year old auntie loves it.
We have tried various butchers and even fish mongers. No one in our food market sells it.
So, as per title, why is that.

mikeIow

Guru
Maybe because only 95-year olds desire it?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My mum used to like it, rest her soul.
I tried some, once. Disgusting look, texture and taste..

I think she simmered it in milk, IIRC

🤮 🤮 🤮

purpan

Lefties are to blame. It’s virtue signalling. If the world wasn’t so woke, we’d all be eating tripe, at every meal. Tripe desserts. Tripe smoothies. Tripe in our coffees. That’s what we’re missing. Marxist tripe-haters.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've not seen it since growing up in Manchester in the 70s... my upbringing gave me a love for offal which has stayed with me, but tripe was a step too far even for our family and my only experience was seeing it in the butcher's window, all flaccid and stinking and unappealing.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Lefties are to blame. It’s virtue signalling. If the world wasn’t so woke, we’d all be eating tripe, at every meal. Tripe desserts. Tripe smoothies. Tripe in our coffees. That’s what we’re missing. Marxist tripe-haters.
Johnson next campaign will be bring back Tripe.
Just not for the likes of him or Rees Mogg.
Those working class heros need to get back to basics.

If politics has to be dragged in, it's probably more accurate to say that Labour seem to take the lions share, but politicians of all hues seem keen to corner the market, although quite a few of the followers seem to have acquired a good amount.

In the dim and distant past, having worked for a number of years next to a tripe dressers, the smell and state of that place put me off from ever trying it.

Lozz360

Veteran
My late Dad (he would be 99 this year if still alive) used to love it. He claimed that tripe and onions in white sauce was a local delicacy from his native Newcastle. I’m not sure about that. I do remember it was horrible (the tripe). It was like trying to chew through rubber.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They feed it to dogs on raw diets these days. Poor things. I wouldn't feed it to my 95 year old auntie. They didn't half eat some crap, and never changed.

MIL liked boiled mince, nothing in it. My mum liked liver, except it was overcooked, just like everything else (don't tell her). I don't think that generation actually 'got' cooking. and making things 'nice'.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
They feed it to dogs on raw diets these days. Poor things. I wouldn't feed it to my 95 year old auntie. They didn't half eat some crap, and never changed.

MIL liked boiled mince, nothing in it. My mum liked liver, except it was overcooked, just like everything else (don't tell her). I don't think that generation actually 'got' cooking. and making things 'nice'.
Dogs love it and it is very nutritious. for human consumption it needs a very long cooking time. I learned a Mlaese recipe from an Italian chef which makes it taste deliclious - roasted like lamb with a tomato and veg sauce. Very unlike the awful milk boiled gloop my granny used to feed me. Puke.

Top Bottom