Why can't I buy tripe nowadays ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a post to start the day!

I do understand that in those difficult times, every part of a slaughtered animal was used. We never had it our home but occasionally seen it mentioned. When I travelled overseas this is one of those things I feared. Chicken feet (Hong Kong) dog meat (Korea) and semi formed duck foetus in an egg (balut) Philipines were the others. In those days, they were keen to introduce them and I would claim to be a vegetarian.

Julia9054

Guru
I do understand that in those difficult times, every part of a slaughtered animal was used
"Nose to tail" eating is very trendy these days

Debade

Über Member
I would guess when meat cutting became more centralized we lost parts and more creative cuts. Stores now get boxes of the best selling meat and butchers have mostly disappeared for providing special cuts. At least this is true in the States

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
You can get Tripe online from a butcher, it isn't for me like... I have ordered meat from Rendalls Online Butchers up in Scotland. I highly recommend their Angus Burgers...

vickster

Legendary Member
I remember mum cooking it for the dog when I was a kid. The sight of it, all covered in grass, and the smell of it cooking were enough to put me off even considering trying it.

Might not be fit for human consumption though.
That's a given with tripe surely xx(xx(

I had to get porcine pancreas for my cat for a while, poor kitty needed the enzymes due to his pancreatic insufficiency. There was literally one place in the country that sold it, raw pet food place (I asked plenty of butchers). It had be tidied up and cut into 50g portions, wrapped in cling film and frozen (before being defrosted again). Utterly repulsive task...the smell xx(xx(
Served raw mixed with a cat pouch...which the enzymes slowly digested if kitty didn't eat it quickly enough (the cat enjoyed having it rather more than I did xx( ). Not sure you can get it anymore, luckily he doesn't need it now, don't think I could stomach prepping it!

carpiste

Guru
It`s years since I had tripe. My mum used to simmer it in milk with onion and served with pepper it was delicious!
I have the feeling it is still sold at Bury market... think I`ll make some enquiries and give it a go ^_^

carpiste

Guru

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Despite enjoying tripe on occasion in the past, I felt a little unnerved by the warning "lest any of the contents come out".
And my residual appetite was swiftly despatched by the frequent references to "slime".

I am pretty confident that my dear parent never tried this recipe (freshly killed pigs not being easily to hand in suburban Midd'x). Nor did she try the recipe for curried macaroni.

The nearest I've come is andouillette in France, which has varied from the excellent to just-about edible.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I highly recommend their Angus Burgers...

I hope you checked the spelling 👇 :eek:

Top Bottom