Why can't I buy tripe nowadays ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
andouillette in France
I feel brave enough to have tried them several times in recent years, once from a posh London Market stall but otherwise in France from various shops and at a rather nice lakeside restaurant.

Cooking them in your own kitchen (house. County) is a serious error because the invasive stench is so persistent.

Dining out means you at least manage to get the things onto your dinner table before you detect the foul odour.

Then a battle of wills to wrestle some into your mouth while your body tries to simultaneously sprint off the nearest cliff edge....

Apparently it's an acquired taste. Yes but what about the smell? xx(

I'd far rather eat durian.

I like tripe, but take the easy way out... ^_^

I buy it ready prepared, in a jar, from the Polish aisle in the supermarket. :laugh: No need to fanny about with the preparation, all I need to do is re-heat it. The broth from the jelly is just gorgeous, perfect for dunking crusty bread in.

You want the "Pampol" brand, and look for a label that says "Flaki"

Slick

Guru
My understanding was that the rules changed on how all offal is handled and tripe now must be bleached which is why it really fell out of favour. My old mum was a fantastic cook, which is what the tripe haters have been missing out on, as my mother in law tried to make it for me once but it was disgusting as she boiled it to death. Cooked properly along with onions and white sauce served with golden wonders from my old mans garden and you have a meal fit for a king. Lovely

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm sure that French chefs can turn it into something very tasty and appetising, seriously I do, but the DIY version is another matter. I was doing a survey in a house outside Dunstable a while ago. I was greeted at the front door by an appalling smell. A couple of minutes later, the source proved to be a roasting tin on the hob with some vinegar and what looked like the bits that a forensic pathologist might chuck into a bucket under the autopsy table. It smelled really bad.

Don't seek that stuff out.

The nearest I've come is andouillette in France, which has varied from the excellent to just-about edible.
1627428740108.png

BURN THE HEATHEN

ANDOUILLETTE IS MONSTROUS GROTESQUERY
THE ONLY EXPLANATION THAT MAKES SENSE IS THAT CONSUMERS OF ANDOUILLETTE ARE POD PEOPLE

UNCLEAN
BURN THE HEATHEN
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN
I feel brave enough to have tried them several times in recent years
Making the mistake of ordering andouillette once, fair enough
Deciding to give andouillette a second chance... WHY
WHY
UNCLEAN
UNCLEAN

That being said you do go on to be appropriately dismayed by the existence of andouillette (although why it took more than one occasion is completely inexplicable) so I have refrained from both naming you a heathen and demanding your immolation

Once on a conference trip to London I was outvoted for where we should go for dinner, and we went to a certain fairly well-known offal restaurant in London, back when I was still a meat eater. I was hesitant and leery, and ended up going for the least offensive thing on the menu and it was gritty and weird and fairly unpleasant.

Still tame compared to la saucisson trompeuse, Madame Andouillette. Just the thought of it angers me, all these years later.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'd far rather eat durian.

Durian smells pretty bad but it tastes wonderful. I bought one back from Thailand a long time age, when you could still have them in your hand luggage on airplanes. On the tube back from Heathrow to Shepherds Bush, I did vaguely notice people moving away from me but the hash cakes I had enjoyed earlier in Bangkok airport took the edge off any embarrassment.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
When I read the title my first thought was....
Why not? What chain ring sizes? Campag or Shimano?
Then I realised it was not about a triple😂

Top Bottom