Why can't I buy tripe nowadays ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To answer the question i believe it's because many people have forgotten where food comes from. Your average UK shopper buys from a supermarket and buys meat in a plastic tray where the cuts have no resemblance to it ever having been an animal at any stage.

Tripe and any other offal is a stark reminder of the reality that 99.99% of people try to hide from.

To answer the question i believe it's because many people have forgotten where food comes from. Your average UK shopper buys from a supermarket and buys meat in a plastic tray where the cuts have no resemblance to it ever having been an animal at any stage.

Tripe and any other offal is a stark reminder of the reality that 99.99% of people try to hide from.
Yes. The disconnect is real, people can't deal with the reality of where their food comes from and prefer to live in wilful ignorance.
However, that being said, andouillette is a crime and someone must be punished.

Yes. The disconnect is real, people can't deal with the reality of where their food comes from and prefer to live in wilful ignorance.
However, that being said, andouillette is a crime and someone must be punished.

Yep... Definitely. When kids think that fish fingers are made from chicken, you really do have a problem.

Me? I've got a sudden hankering for devilled kidneys :hungry:

keithmac

Guru
Our dogs eat it as part of a raw diet, the smell just dishing it up for them is nearly vomit inducing!.

Don't think I could bring myself to try it no matter how you cook it..

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have vague memories of my dad eating it but it was never a regular thing in our family.

I've had it in Normandy and predictably it was delicious.

As for Andouille my experience is like that of @Ian H - variable. The first time I had it was excellent. A bit unusual, but an experience definitely worth repeating. The second time was revolting.

I expect you can get tripe if you ask around, as you can pigs feet.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
You're dead right there:okay:

Andouillettes are definitely a step too far, we had an "andouillette experience" a few years ago and it took nearly a year before we could even look at a sausage:stop:

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

As a teenager, sixty-odd years ago, I got my first 'proper' part time job in a branch of the UCP - United Cattle (by)Products - where I helped in the kitchen of the restaurant and the front of the shop.

From oxtail to pressed tongue and down to cow heel (makes the most delicious, glutinous gravy ...) there were tripes of different sorts, all the 'popular' offal such as kidneys, livers and heart, what we silly girls referred to as 'cows faces' (beef cheek), 'sweetbreads' (thymus, sometimes pancreas - we sold different 'grades' of sweetbreads), 'lights' (lungs) at the back of the shop for someone who collected them for his dogs, brains, pressed cooked elder (I know what that is - I'll leave others to guess!) and other delights of the bovine animal!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Ian H[/QUOTE said:
Ian H I expect you can get [B said:
tripe[/B] if you ask around, as you can pigs feet.
Both available when I stopped in the Wincanton branch of Morrisons last week.
Not sure if that is standard for Morrisons or just a local exception.

Edited to remove an unwanted quote, and completely screwed up the formatting!

Last edited:
I had no idea what that was so googled itxx(
I found this......how disgusting.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/experi...he-things-you-must-never-try-eating-in-france
That makes it sound nicer than it is. My experience was... *cuts open* *literal smell of pigshit*
It's not just "intestines", it's very much the lower part of the intestines. I'm half surprised I didn't encounter a balloon knot, though I only managed a couple of forkfuls before mumbling "desole, je suis défait". Maybe if I'd explored further I would have found it.

Like the article said, I was a foreigner who failed the andouillette taste. A bitter first and last experience of French cuisine.

That being said, someone I knew hired a chef whose speciality was "head cheese" and, although I didn't eat it, I saw someone else eat it, and that should have warned me off trying anything adventurous.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As a teenager, sixty-odd years ago, I got my first 'proper' part time job in a branch of the UCP - United Cattle (by)Products - where I helped in the kitchen of the restaurant and the front of the shop.

From oxtail to pressed tongue and down to cow heel (makes the most delicious, glutinous gravy ...) there were tripes of different sorts, all the 'popular' offal such as kidneys, livers and heart, what we silly girls referred to as 'cows faces' (beef cheek), 'sweetbreads' (thymus, sometimes pancreas - we sold different 'grades' of sweetbreads), 'lights' (lungs) at the back of the shop for someone who collected them for his dogs, brains, pressed cooked elder (I know what that is - I'll leave others to guess!) and other delights of the bovine animal!
Blimey, that's a blast from the past. I remember the shops in and around Manchester.

Top Bottom