Why can't I find a quick release axle nut...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fourelms

Regular
You know, as used on solid axles since usurping the humble wing nut axle nut, nut with folding handle .....searched the t'internet and no luck....do they have a proper name or something?

Thanks guys

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry, bit confused. Do you mean quick release skewers? Only you talk about using them on solid axles, the axles need to be drilled of course.

OP
OP
F

Fourelms

Regular
Sorry, bit confused. Do you mean quick release skewers? Only you talk about using them on solid axles, the axles need to be drilled of course.

Yes, but no, but yes... 😉 found on low end bikes.

Like on this front axle.....solid axle, with nut that has a folding handle, hard to describe but we all know what they are

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220605_220818_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_20220605_220818_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
F

Fourelms

Regular
That's correct guys.....but can't find any on Fleabay etc....quite strange, could be me of course^_^

Maybe a trip to Maggets in the morning.

C R

Guru
That's correct guys.....but can't find any on Fleabay etc....quite strange, could be me of course^_^

Maybe a trip to Maggets in the morning.

You need to search for quick release skewers.

ETA Beaten by @I like Skol great minds and all that.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
That's a standard QR skewer.
A proper one: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/shimano-ultegra-hb6600-quick-release-skewer-100mm-y26a98010/
A cheap one: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/formula-front-skewer-with-blue-lever-blade/

With rim brakes, a cheap one is fine. You need a proper one for a front disc brake wheel.
You've got to get the correct length: 100 mm front wheel, 135 mm MTB rear.

Normally you get the whole thing; your local bike shop should have plenty.
If you just want the adjuster nut for the non-lever end, it's probably eBay from China, unless the LBS has a few old ones knocking about.

Top Bottom