Why can't I find a quick release axle nut...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's a standard QR so should be easy to replace or purchase new ones. Just beware of mixing/matching skewers and the adjuster nut from the other end as the threads are often different and risk pulling out when the lever is tightened.

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
I wonder if the OP is searching for something that doesn’t exist? A ‘quick release’ nut for a solid axle?

C R

Guru
I wonder if the OP is searching for something that doesn’t exist? A ‘quick release’ nut for a solid axle?

I was wondering, that's why I asked if they could take a photo of the nut off the axle. I did a bit of googling, and searched through Sheldon's site, and I am 99.9% sure that OP has a qr skewer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My memory of solid axles is of either hex nuts or wing nuts for the front wheel (because you couldn't get enough tension on the back wheel with a wing nut to stop the wheel from slipping in horizontal dropouts). I don't remember any ever having a folding handle. Which isn't to say they didn't exist, but I never saw or had one.

I did have some that were asymmetric, so not exactly butterfly nuts. They looked a bit like an old fashioned oil can, with one long arm (like the oil can spout) and one short one (like the oil can trigger pump). You put your thumb against the short side and wrapped your fingers round the long side. Like this:
1654510649974.png

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member

I think this may be a confusion of thinking a closed cam QR skewer is somehow a solid axel (it isnt) vs the more usual nowadays (but arguably inferior) open cam QR skewer

OP
OP
F

Fourelms

Regular
That wing nut/oil can look is the sort of thing but, with flipping 180' handle.

.....I've a Puch with two fitted that is 165 miles away......my sincere apologies as taking a pic of a modern thru skewer totally muddied the thread completely....not difficult with my fuzzy brain. ^_^

Thanks for all the help, I'll post a pic of the actual nut next time I'm with the bike. :becool:

OP
OP
F

Fourelms

Regular
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom