Why change my chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Out of curiosity, I measured, and found my chain is worn beyond the generally recommended replacement point - ie, the 12" ruler doesn't line up, and is out by upwards of 1/8". But since I ride fixed, and it doesn't seem to affect anything, what's to stop me carrying on with it pretty much indefinitely?

Citius

Because you will begin to wear the sprockets unevenly, and end up needing to change the lot.

byegad

Legendary Member
It will already be wearing out the sprockets front and back. Take a look and I'd guess you've already got sharks fin profiles on the teeth. In which case you'll need to replace the chain and both sprockets at some point. A chain that long is also prone to snapping. Change the chain at less than 0.7% worn and all you change is the chain. Finally if you just change the chain now you'll get skipping as the teeth are now worn for a longer pitch.

It's a logical question, the answer to which is that a ss chain is under more duress than on a geared [derailleur] bike, chainring, sprocket and chain are subject to greater torque and therefore will wear out quicker than on a geared bike. The short answer is that your chain will fail sooner rather than later, sooner if on fixed and this is not a good situation to find oneself in. When this happens you will also then have to buy a new sprocket, probably a chainring and of course a chain. Finally it may also damage the paintwork when it does fail [not to mention you]. :smile:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Interesting. I did have a good look front & rear, and can't see any sign of shark's toothing (this after several years/'000 miles). Are you saying that there's a danger of the thing just snapping? I guess it makes sense that the more it wears the weaker it will get.

Interesting. I did have a good look front & rear, and can't see any sign of shark's toothing (this after several years/'000 miles). Are you saying that there's a danger of the thing just snapping? I guess it makes sense that the more it wears the weaker it will get.
Excuse my pun but a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, the question you have to ask yourself is, "do I feel lucky?" Sorry.

Wasn't sure if you were from Lancashire or not.

D

Deleted member 1258

As other have said, its only a matter of time before it breaks. The only time I have broken a chain on a fixed it was very worn, fortunately I had only just left the house, on my way to work, and had barely got my speed into double figures, but the broken chain wrapped round the back of the bike locking up the back wheel and sending me up the road traveling sideways hanging over the handlebars, with the low speed of the breakage I managed to stop it without falling off. These day I change the chain every twelve months, earlier if I think it needs changing.

Okeydokey

Really interesting thread... I wonder over what kind of distance/time frame are we talking about. I wrestle with the concept of chain stretch being detrimental to my locus, never mind sharks teeth!

Top Bottom