Why cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JustT

Regular
Why Cycle?? Why not, or thats what I told myself, or more to the point 'why not do a triathlon'.

I started some 5 years ago on a mission to get my health back. I had been disgusted with myself on a recent trip to wales, a trip up snowdon took hours more than it should have," no example to set to my children" says I. So off to the gym with my sorry ass I went. Then a half hearted conversation mentioning running a marathon prompted a question " how about you Tan, do you fancy having a go" !!!!!!! " Do I look like I need a straight jacket". But the seed whas set, and the next day there was me, plodding along on the treadmill, gasping in desparation. 'I used to run, years ago, can I do it again' I asks myself. Being the stubborn cow that I am, off i set to prove I could.

Two years later complaining to friend at my local running club, whilst running up the side of a hill, of how out of breath I got, and the lack of improvement, it was sugested that I try swimming. Having asthma it would help me control my breathing I was told. Sooooo then came the swiming. And whilst swimming one day I noticed the sign....Triathlon.....June.......open to all abilities...... 'well I used to cycle, and I am fit now, what the heck, i'll give it a go' . A few days later on an old beat up ladies falcon bike that i had bought from a second hand shop for £25.00 off I went to try out the cycle route of the triathlon.....

Now for those who dont know, I live in Rossendale, although on a lesser scale than cumbria....its not exactly flat....so there was me, soaked to the skin, crying on the doorstep, what the hell had I done??? Did I mention how stubborn I am? Good, well that was me, off again on one of my challenges. I did the Triathlon, and another, oh and another and yet another......now I dont exactly 'love hills' now, but they are just part of the journey............cycling on the other hand has become a major part of my life.....If I am not in a lake or dock, or up the side of a hill, I am on a bike somewhere in the Rossendale or Yorkshire countryside, looking for another hill to climb....ready for my next challenge :smile:

Scotmitchy

I cycle for fitness and weight loss, with some commuting to work too.

The rides I enjoy most of all are those in my lunch hour when I leave behind the desk and computer and enjoy fresh air and birdsong for an hour.

It's the perfect way to unwind and de-stress.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
[rant]
Because I detest motor vehicles and the culture that they nurture.
I hate the materialistic traits they bring out in otherwise reasonable people.
I hate riding in them.
I hate the damage they do to EVERYTHING.
[rant off]
Apart from that;
the notion of being out of doors
the avoidance of pubic (sic) transport
the idea of doing something sociable in a group with the intent of going somewhere nice
the freedom
the one-to-one-ness of (wo)man and machine

John90

Über Member
Fitness is the main motivation. I used to be a runner & did about 50 miles a week but an old football injury to my knee became arthritic and I needed a lighter exercise regime, of which cycling is a major ingredient. I ride MTBs on the basis that the effort per mile is greater & I don't have the time for many long-distance rides. Also I prefer the feel of a MTB, even on the road; smooths out the bumps.

I've also come to appreciate the freedom a bike gives me to go anywhere at any time. I cannot understand why anyone in London ever gets in a car if cycling is an option for them. Driving in the city is way too stressful and inconvenient.

Top Bottom