Why cycling in high-vis may be not as safe as you think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't assume folk have seen you. Sound advice.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Whilst I understand the arguments for Hi-Viz, I will never wear it. I just can't stand the colour, instead I wear other coloured jackets with reflective strips, but as I hardly ever go out at night/dusk on the bike, it's kind of a moot point.

This:
"he more non-cyclists see people on bikes dressed as if they were on a building site or directing airliners towards a runway, the more they implicitly absorb the message that cycling is inherently unsafe."

Hi-Vis Jackets have their uses, mine comes out when it is raining for instance as it happens to be my most waterproof coat, but otherwise no I dont see the need for as it says above dressing like I belong in on a building site isnt for me.

The assumption that no one can see you is one I dont think is repeated enough, so I say always assume people haven't see you.:thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have a selection of cycling jackets and in dull weather I definitely prefer wearing the brighter ones (and putting lights on too) - but I wouldn't assume it would mean a motorist has seen me as a result. Mr Summerdays had a shock yesterday when he nearly pulled onto a roundabout and at the last second saw the cyclist, literally at the last second. He hasn't got the foggiest why he didn't see him - he would consider that as an occasional cyclist and married to one that he looks out for cyclists. He hasn't mentioned whether the cyclist was wearing hi-vis or not in the conversation about the incident.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Just to pick up on a slight mischeviousness in the thread title.

From the Article: That said, the lessons only pertain to daylight hours. Virtually all high-vis items have reflective patches or strips, which are, without doubt, a boon after dark.

A lot of my riding is done in dark or dusk/dawn visibility when vehicles will have some sort of light going, I have the choice of wearing reflectives or carrying them on my trips in broad daylight, I tend to still wear them rather than tote a little bag around unneccesarily. As stated before tho, I'm a fan of the Sam Browne belt as that is more uniquely cyclist, different enough to the usual slab of yellow to catch the eye a bit better and doesn't look like the ubiquitous builder on the pavement or delivery driver on a job

+1 to Fossyant.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Who needs hi-viz when you run lights like this?

Hi-viz has a major drawback, it won't make you visible if the sun is behind you from the drivers point of view. A good and bright light however, may do.

I wear very little hi-viz and very little reflectives. Why? Because they have limitations. Reflectives require a source of light to hit them to reflect back. This means any cars pulling out of a side road will not see anything from your reflectives, better to use lights.
Hi-viz is best effective when the visibility conditions are low, but in these situations you can be just as visible with a good set of lights. If everyone is wearing hi-viz, will you stand out more or less if you wear it or black/white?

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Who needs hi-viz when you run lights like this?

Hi-viz has a major drawback, it won't make you visible if the sun is behind you from the drivers point of view. A good and bright light however, may do.

I wear very little hi-viz and very little reflectives. Why? Because they have limitations. Reflectives require a source of light to hit them to reflect back. This means any cars pulling out of a side road will not see anything from your reflectives, better to use lights.
Hi-viz is best effective when the visibility conditions are low, but in these situations you can be just as visible with a good set of lights. If everyone is wearing hi-viz, will you stand out more or less if you wear it or black/white?

I'd always wondered about placing a small flasher LED light angled 45 degrees outwards towards the kerb, so that it's more visible to drivers waiting in side roads, as most lights have their max brightness only to the direct front..............Anyone do this?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'd always wondered about placing a small flasher LED light angled 45 degrees outwards towards the kerb, so that it's more visible to drivers waiting in side roads, as most lights have their max brightness only to the direct front..............Anyone do this?
If you want good side visibility then try a fibre flare - I've used one occasionally but saw someone else with one the other day and though I must use mine more as a result.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Why am I not surprised? Gaz is right, active lighting is far far better.

TBF most cyclists in the UK go waay overboard with lights/hiviz/other compensatory things, including me. You can easily tell this is "wrong" when you look at cyclists in the Netherlands. There's no fear of drivers there to make them behave in the same way.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Why am I not surprised? Gaz is right, active lighting is far far better.

TBF most cyclists in the UK go waay overboard with lights/hiviz/other compensatory things, including me. You can easily tell this is "wrong" when you look at cyclists in the Netherlands. There's no fear of drivers there to make them behave in the same way.

Being seen is a minor problem for me,except to peds that is.Peds seem to only look sometimes if they hear an engine noise.
Be fair Mikey a majority of motorists don't drive like @r535 in the Netherlands and isn't it a more cycle friendly country?

Top Bottom