Why cycling in high-vis may be not as safe as you think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Best advice my older brother gave me when I started driving many moons ago was to treat every other driver as if they are complete idiots...same now apples when I ride my bike :-)

Also, a 'heads up' for the 'cool guys'...this year's hot colour in the fashion world is fluorescent yellow...according to an article I read somewhere!

IMO a fluorescent jacket or vest and maybe a bit on your gloves is one thing. Head to toe is just plain wrong :-)
Today I was dressed head to toe in black. Not a single bit of fluorescent material :biggrin:
My bike is also black.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Today I was dressed head to hoe in black. Not a single bit of fluorescent material :biggrin:
My bike is also black.

The way it should be..........

Reactions: gaz

LinchPin

Veteran
Today I was dressed head to hoe in black. Not a single bit of fluorescent material :biggrin:
My bike is also black.

What Gaz didn't tell you was that he didn't even go out on his bike, it's what he likes to wear when lounging around the house. The fact the material is PVC is neither here nor there.

^_^

subaqua

What’s the point
I wear a high-viz cycling in. It's even more convenient now my place of work is a building site, I don't even need to take it off when I get in. In fact if I swap out my helmet for a hard hat I can just get off my bike and be dressed for work without doing anything.
one would hope you change it often tokeep it at peak efficiency for working on site
My bike is also black.
thaty has to be the typo you will regret the most , especially given the replies about PVC .

Rustyoil

Regular
What someone needs to invent is a reflective black.
Matt black and correctly chic, in most daylight conditions, but strangely sparkly under streetlights / headlamps.

I claim a percentage of proceeds for thinking of it though!

3narf

For whom the bell dings
sorry if this point has been made before but I can't be bothered to read the whole thread:

Once everyone in the country has to wear a high viz before leaving the house in a morning, the person without one will be the visible one.

We're so accustomed to seeing them we're in danger of not thinking of their wearers as human any more.

That said... I wear one for my commute, mainly coz I need to wear it at work, and even I'm not perverse enough to stick it in my bag til I get to work!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What someone needs to invent is a reflective black.
Matt black and correctly chic, in most daylight conditions, but strangely sparkly under streetlights / headlamps.

I claim a percentage of proceeds for thinking of it though!
Illuminite! I did have one of their jackets a couple of years ago but found it was quite dark during the daytime when I prefer brighter colours.

Top Bottom