Why cycling is dangerous... for the wallet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
I'd been having some shifting problems, and I'd never been convinced that the Microshift front mech was up to much, so I treated myself to an SRAM Force for just over £30. That's a right bargain I thought.

When fitting it yesterday I thought I'd better measure the chain. Dammit. Good bit of stretch there. Better get a replacement - KMC £18.

Hang on, that cassette's done 5,500miles now. Teeth look a bit worn... bit of rust there. That new chain will never get on with it. - SRAM PG1070 £44

What's that clicking coming from my rear disc brake? That doesn't sound right. Better check the pads.
Nope need to get a new set... front and back. What's that - 4 sets for the price of 3. That's a good saving. I'll do that. Discobrakes £32.

Checked my emails, and there's one from Cycle Surgery. Don't forget to use your £10 voucher...
Oh right... I better had... But I have to spend £50 to get the £10 off. Hmmm well my spring gloves do have a hole in... and I need a replacement front flasher for the spring/summer evenings.
Knog Blinder/ Giro gloves £40

While I'm online I suppose I should look at replacing that cracked seat on the carbon bike. Yep that one's the right size and was comfy when I tried it. Looks lovely in White... Selle Italia £140.

Can't get a white seat and not have white bar tape... SRAM Supercork £18

Oh look, those wheels for the carbon bike you wanted are in the sale... and the website has an additional anniversary 10% discount offer... Fulcrum Quattro £199.

Yep, that front mech was a right bargain at £30... oh.. I mean £521. :sad:

:smile:

I can counter that.

I should really replace the chain on the road bike but too late now, I'll need to replace the rear cassette, may as well wait then.......

That seat is uncomy over 40 miles, need to get that Specialized one... I'll do less than 40 miles until then I think, or run, yeah run, it's still cold.......

Need to get that frame fro the new mtn bike, yeah but I'm not mtn biking at the moment, I'll wait......

Mrs C needs a new bike but not yet, wait 'till summer eh......

Son2 has outgrown that bike of his......I'll buy him a longer seatpost.......when he complains...

Need some touring stuff but not yet, no one has committed to the summer tour yet....

You need to practise prevarication, it doesn't come naturally to some people.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I'm sure EVERYONE who's on this board has suffered from this at one time or another.....I know my own flexible friend and been doubled over on more than one occasion. :eek:

This week it was:

New front wheel for CX bike (cheaper to get a new wheel than replace the hub...go figure?)
New pedals for Dogma ...nice speedplay zero's with cleats..ouch expensive!!
new KMC X10-SL chain as my 7901 is well over stretched.....

All adds up.

BSRU

A Human Being
On Saturday I was surfing the web thinking about buying a spare set of wheels for my road bike, nothing special just a spare set.
My main commuter already has two spare fronts and three spare rears, a collection built up over the past couple of years.

Ended up with a pair of 2010 Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels for £175 plus postage from Merlin's.
Probably overkill for someone who just commutes to work.

I know just how you all feel.

I had to take the bar tape off my geared roadbike as I wanted to re-position the ergo-levers.

That was going to be anything up to a tenner for new tape.

But luckily I'd removed the dirty tape carefully and was able to re-apply it. All it cost me was the 10cm of electricician's tape to finish it off with.

Non-matching, of couse.

People will spend as much as they want to spend.

M Hailwood famously defended the dangers of the IoM by saying that the throttle works both ways. Budgets are the same.

It's lovely that some of us get our jollies by spending money on bicycles, but it's equally lovely that some can't get in a lather about these things.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
The prices vary loads too, if you're not specific about what you want and not in a rush for replacement parts, you can find huge discounts for most things. :smile:

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
I know just how you all feel.
It's lovely that some of us get our jollies by spending money on bicycles, but it's equally lovely that some can't get in a lather about these things.

Of course, my post is somewhat tongue in cheek. Whilst expense can partly be a frustration, I get very excited by new bits of kit and cycling is what I choose to spend my pennies on, rather than boozing, or a season ticket to a football club, or satellite telivision.

I just think we can all relate to the 'small job snowballing into a major refurb' and the brilliant thing is that while all the bits are in the back of Postman Pat's van, I'm still mobile and pedalling to work in the meantime.

Of course, my post is somewhat tongue in cheek. Whilst expense can partly be a frustration, I get very excited by new bits of kit and cycling is what I choose to spend my pennies on, rather than boozing, or a season ticket to a football club, or satellite telivision.

I just think we can all relate to the 'small job snowballing into a major refurb' and the brilliant thing is that while all the bits are in the back of Postman Pat's van, I'm still mobile and pedalling to work in the meantime.

You are qute right. I hadn't meant my post to come across as snyde or sneering.

I. too, have been caught in the spiralling cost of a tiny, tiny repair. :rolleyes:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
You need to practise prevarication, it doesn't come naturally to some people.
I find watching Question Time in Parliament on TV helps: there are truly some masters of the art of prevarication in politics.

I'm not overly concerned about the money I spend on the bike, because it pays for itself in other forms, such as ridiculously good health (I haven't taken a sick day off work in over 3.5 years), the continued enjoyment of my commute (and how many motorists can claim they really enjoy the daily car congestion?). Of course, I'm just preaching to the converted here, aren't I?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I was in that situation earlier this year.

Money has just come through for new bike £500.
Oh, new bike will look silly with toe strap pedals. New pedals £30.
These shoes are too small for me. New SPD shoes £45.

Commuter needs new brakes due to them not working properly. New brakeset £40.
Cable outers are pretty full of dirt. Cable outers and furrels £10.
Commuter also has a worn cassette. £20.
New cassette will mean new chain. £10.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Mine works both ways as well; I've a list of 'needed' items, which I buy as I find them on offer.

Stuff also has to be sold, hence this evening's being spent on eBay listing parts / clothes no longer needed or being used.

DaveK

I'm falling into this trap. Bought a cheapo Viking for £100 to get into cycling. used it for a year as it came but have spent more than its worth on upgrades. My list is as follows:

FSA inner chain ring £8.00
Deda drop bars £20.00
Stem £5.00
Brake calipers £18.00
Bar tape £5.00
2x Bottle cages £8.00
Velo 7 Computer £15.00
R540 SPD SL Pedals £22.00
Charge Spoon Saddle £20.00
Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 Tyre £18.00
Bottles £4.00
Chain £6.00

Total £149. And all that has been since Xmas haha, Will be (almost) stopping there though as its just not worth changing much more.

I will add though that its definitely cheaper than my "other bike hobby" (see avatar)

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had my fixed, Pearson Touché, for just over 5 years now, all thats left of the original bike is frame, forks, mudguards and carrier, I do try and keep my card on a tight leash, but don't always succeed.

Top Bottom