Why did I wait so long?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carol C

Why did I wait so long to get a bike? I suppose this is the first year I have felt well enough and boy, do I love it. Just back from riding along the seafront and harbour and at times it was so windy that the bike stood still; it was very exhilarating. A really good workout!Having to get out on the bike whilst I can because the weather is set to change in the next few days.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get the right clothing Carol and cycling can be just as much fun and exhilarating in bad & rainy weather as well as good.

Glad to see you are enjoying being on a bike

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Agree, cycling in bad weather can be just as much fun as a lovely summers day as long as you have the right kit and dont mind a little suffering. Best bit is getting home to a nice hot coffee and steaming hot bath. Just wait until the snow arrives, time to get the cyclocross bike out and hit the quiet back lanes.

Just reminded me that I should get the old mountain bike out and put new knobblies and innertubes on.

And some new cables
And some new break blocks
Shifters too

This could turn into triggers broom

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I really dont understand why you some of you say that cycling can be just as much fun in bad weather! I disagree. Cycling is awful in bad weather and I , for one, hate it for the following reasons:
1) it is far more dangerous because of the rain reducing grip and diesel spills, braking distances etc..
2) visibility is reduced for you and other people ( cars etc) so increasing your chances of being knocked down.
3) Cant wear glasses in the rain so no fun when rain hits your eyes, again reducing visibility.
4) as for snow, forget it all together!
5) gale winds can throw you all over the road.
These are the reasons why I am a fair weather cyclist and will remain so as I cant afford to break anything if I fall off.
I must add that cold weather dont bother me so long as it is dry and there are plenty of days like that in winter so why risk it in bad weather?
Of course, if you need to ride for commuting then it is different.
Anybody else agrees with me?

tyred

Legendary Member
I really dont understand why you some of you say that cycling can be just as much fun in bad weather! I disagree. Cycling is awful in bad weather and I , for one, hate it for the following reasons:
1) it is far more dangerous because of the rain reducing grip and diesel spills, braking distances etc..
Ride (or indeed drive) at a suitable speed for the conditions
2) visibility is reduced for you and other people ( cars etc) so increasing your chances of being knocked down.
Lights and hi-vis.
3) Cant wear glasses in the rain so no fun when rain hits your eyes, again reducing visibility.
A baseball cap will keeep the worst of the rain off.
Marathon Winters
True, but it is rarely that bad in practice. choose quiet routes with little traffic and ride a heavy bike. A 50lb roadster is immune to cross winds.
NO!

I agree, it can be more hazardous but learning to ride in different road conditions and icnrease makes an all round better rider, even when the weather improves.
Indeed, however if you keep up on well lit roads then visibility is not much of an issue, along with the correct equipment.
You can wear cycling glasses that have interchangeable clear lenses. Rain never hit my eyeballs, the eyelashes are there for the purpose of protecting them (wear mascara to make them thicker??:tongue: )
Possible with extra care!
Again it is possible with extra care!
These are the reasons why I am a fair weather cyclist and will remain so as I cant afford to break anything if I fall off.
I must add that cold weather dont bother me so long as it is dry and there are plenty of days like that in winter so why risk it in bad weather?

I agree not everyone is suited for all weather cycling however that does not make it dangerous for those who are experienced and skilled to ride in different road conditions. I 'prefer' riding in better weather however solely for wimpy reasons - I dont like being cold! - not because of the danger factor.

1) it is far more dangerous because of the rain reducing grip and diesel spills, braking distances etc..cycle slower?
2) visibility is reduced for you and other people ( cars etc) so increasing your chances of being knocked down. currently been hit once, in broad daylight. Don't think this is true (and in bad weather you see what good high-vis looks like - quite spectacular!)
3) Cant wear glasses in the rain so no fun when rain hits your eyes, again reducing visibility. I always cycle with glasses! Couldn't cycle without mine. Helmet with visor protects from worst of the wet
4) as for snow, forget it all together! Find a gritted route...
5) gale winds can throw you all over the road. Not yet been blown off...

My main issue with 'bad weather' is if there's a huge headwind, I normally wear so many layers to commute in that if you give me a headwind to fight I'm far too hot!

I think that cars and other people tend to stay home in bad weather as well so cycling in it isn't as bad as you'd expect.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I agree not everyone is suited for all weather cycling however that does not make it dangerous for those who are experienced and skilled to ride in different road conditions. I 'prefer' riding in better weather however solely for wimpy reasons - I dont like being cold! - not because of the danger factor.
I agree that being better equipped and experienced of riding in adverse conditions will help but it doesn't alter the fact that the risk factor is greatly increased so why chance it if it is no necessary?

Gbola

It
I agree that being better equipped and experienced of riding in adverse conditions will help but it doesn't alter the fact that the risk factor is greatly increased so why chance it if it is no necessary?
It is called addiction

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I do

Davidc

Guru

Only in that I prefer it not raining, but I'll ride in the wet if I need to.

1 - only applies if you have steel rims
2 - use bright lights and bright clothes
3 - I do (or goggles and contacts so much the same)
4 - don't mind snow but agree once it's ice
5 - for really high winds I agree, but they need to be really bad to stop me

Top Bottom