Why do bike bells stop working when they get wet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For some reason I was stupid enough to click on the sound icon on that link whilst wearing my headphones. :surrender:

According to that most unimpeachable resource Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_bell

Some bells, particularly these "ping" types, work poorly in rainy conditions because water drops clinging to the bell damp the vibrations which produce sound.[citation needed]

Ah "citation needed". So Wikipedia isn't really sure.
Partial credit to them. Air compresses, water doesn’t. In order to set up a sound wave ( which are longitudinal pressure waves )they require the medium in which they sit to be compressible. When they’re wet, they are effectively in an incompressible fluid.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

You can't use something like that on pedestrians.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
You can't use something like that on pedestrians.
I 'rang' the 'ping ping' bell at some Pedestrians with dogs on the cycle route (no response) as I got closer I called out to them.
'Daddy oik' shouts "Use your bell" & turns his back, so I gave a nice long blast on the 'Airzound' right behind them (about 3 feet).
Dogs took off dragging 'Daddy oik' and two others through the nettles & brambles either side.

'Daddy oik' calls police.
The Police watch my 'go pro' footage and laugh out loud.
Then tell 'Daddy oik' that not only do cyclists have right of way but that the cyclist was using the audible warning system as is required by LAW.
They also pointed out that it is NOT actually a public footpath.
"It's a cycle way and must be treated as you would any other 'single track road'."
They also fined Daddy oik & co for not cleaning up after their dogs (no poop bags).

New signs have been erected on the route detailing who has right of way on it.
Now when I use that cycle path I give a quick toot on the 'Airzound' and everybody moves to the side to let me past.

So you not only 'can' use something like that on pedestrians', you should, for that is the use for which it was designed & intended.
An audible warning system to alert other road users of your presence (if you think they have not seen you).

I also have a Hornit (not as loud as the Airzound) and find the high pitched sound really freaks dogs out (people not so much), so I tend to use the other sound.
Most think it's a car alarm! and ignore it.
P.S.
'Daddy oik' is the nickname he's got now courtesy of his kids. Bless 'em.:angel:

I 'rang' the 'ping ping' bell at some Pedestrians with dogs on the cycle route (no response) as I got closer I called out to them.
'Daddy oik' shouts "Use your bell" & turns his back, so I gave a nice long blast on the 'Airzound' right behind them (about 3 feet).
Dogs took off dragging 'Daddy oik' and two others through the nettles & brambles either side.

'Daddy oik' calls police.
The Police watch my 'go pro' footage and laugh out loud.
Then tell 'Daddy oik' that not only do cyclists have right of way but that the cyclist was using the audible warning system as is required by LAW.
They also pointed out that it is NOT actually a public footpath.
"It's a cycle way and must be treated as you would any other 'single track road'."
They also fined Daddy oik & co for not cleaning up after their dogs (no poop bags).

New signs have been erected on the route detailing who has right of way on it.
Now when I use that cycle path I give a quick toot on the 'Airzound' and everybody moves to the side to let me past.

So you not only 'can' use something like that on pedestrians', you should, for that is the use for which it was designed & intended.
An audible warning system to alert other road users of your presence (if you think they have not seen you).

I also have a Hornit (not as loud as the Airzound) and find the high pitched sound really freaks dogs out (people not so much), so I tend to use the other sound.
Most think it's a car alarm! and ignore it.
P.S.
'Daddy oik' is the nickname he's got now courtesy of his kids. Bless 'em.:angel:
The Hornit is actually louder than the airzound ( 15dB is 15dB )

Top Bottom