Why do cyclists run red lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Octet

Veteran
Although it isn't directly related to Red Light Jumping, I've been caught on the opposite end of the spectrum surprisingly. I've stopped to let a vehicle turn into a private road and the traffic behind me has moved into the opposite lane to overtake me...
Me and the driver I was letting pass just looked at each other and laughed at the incident.

But I agree with all those above who said that Red Light Jumping is for arrogant, impatient and irresponsible cyclists.

Funny, so do you actually think those that red light jumpers (including myself) give a cr@p what you say and think, you can tut and squirt as much water as you like from you water bottle. This is NOT a big deal, get over yourselfs.

Why do I do it? Because when I do, and it's not every light, I've assessed the situation and deemed my actions of little or no consequence (except affect their blood pressure it seems) to other traffic on the road.

I guess I have equated myself to the 3 oh so bad characteristics mentioned above, but maybe less arrogant more egocentric.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Funny, so do you actually think those that red light jumpers (including myself) give a cr@p what you say and think, you can tut and squirt as much water as you like from you water bottle. This is NOT a big deal, get over yourselfs.

Why do I do it? Because when I do, and it's not every light, I've assessed the situation and deemed my actions of little or no consequence (except affect their blood pressure it seems) to other traffic on the road.

I guess I have equated myself to the 3 oh so bad characteristics mentioned above, but maybe less arrogant more egocentric.
It's just a simple matter of breaking the law, isn't it? Do those laws apply to you, or do you feel you can be selective more on this matter?

Norm

'Cyclists' don't run red lights. Some individuals might but even the rather lazy position of the journalists quoted in the OP doesn't pretend there is a majority.

Drago

Legendary Member
I guess that's the difference between true 'cyclists', and eejuts who simply happen to own a bike.

I'v scraped enough RLJ'ers off the tarmac over the years - many needing a lift to the morgue - to rid myself of any desire to do it myself.

But even worse - what if someone did it and was hit, and became disabled as a consequence? Even if they had insurance it would be unlikely to pay and they'd be a financial and physical burden to their families.

I don't care if people do it or not. Just dont expect me to care when it goes a bit bobby.

redcard

Veteran

People are waiting at red, you're flying through thinking to yourself "Look at me go, I'm da man. Eastenders double-bill tonight, must get home".

gavintc

Guru
I believe that the 'running red lights' is based upon how the cyclist views themselves as part of the traffic. I contend that those using the bike as a replacement to walking - ie fast walking for short distances, take the view that normal pedestrian rules apply. If they encounter a red light, no problems, pop on the pavement go over the crossing. Other cyclists who view the bike as slow driving, take a different approach and are more likely to obey the traffic rules. Just my opinion having watched a bunch of cyclists in Portsmouth (my new home) over the last week.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I believe that the 'running red lights' is based upon how the cyclist views themselves as part of the traffic. I contend that those using the bike as a replacement to walking - ie fast walking for short distances, take the view that normal pedestrian rules apply. If they encounter a red light, no problems, pop on the pavement go over the crossing. Other cyclists who view the bike as slow driving, take a different approach and are more likely to obey the traffic rules. Just my opinion having watched a bunch of cyclists in Portsmouth (my new home) over the last week.
As a London cyclist I'd say my experience is very similar. I'm a little concerned, though, that new and returning cyclists may actually believe that the media cliché about red light jumping is simply what cyclists do.

I pass lots of traffic lights on my commute and, at red, it is a time for reflection and to absorb what is going on around me. Tossers who know better - well, it will be their loss. Don't worry. The only thing that really disturbs me these days is someone who passes me on the inside when I'm stationary, as, (apart from being a tight squeeze) it's careless to me. Alas, I repeatedly resist the forearm smash / ' left arm stretch' ploy - as much as I want to...:angel:

Top Bottom