Why do I crave salt after rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hippygirl

Hippygirl

You seem to bonk faster??? :eek:
I should say, I have a greater chance of bonking. I haven't come up with the perfect pre-ride meal that doesn't either weigh me down or cramp my stomach so I go light on the pre-ride, have a snack mid way and then if I am hungry after the ride, I eat a meal. I might be going about it all wrong, but aside from the salt cravings, it seems to be working. So far no leg cramps. Just a total lack of energy and stamina on a day after a sweaty ride. And lately, they have all been sweaty.

AM1

I should say, I have a greater chance of bonking. I haven't come up with the perfect pre-ride meal that doesn't either weigh me down or cramp my stomach so I go light on the pre-ride, have a snack mid way and then if I am hungry after the ride, I eat a meal. I might be going about it all wrong, but aside from the salt cravings, it seems to be working. So far no leg cramps. Just a total lack of energy and stamina on a day after a sweaty ride. And lately, they have all been sweaty.

The term 'Bonking' has a whole different meaning here in the UK...

Nibor

Bewildered
Just looked it up. My bad! What is the term you use for hitting the wall?
You are using a perfectly correct technical term we are just smutty sorry. +1 for electrolyte tablets in your drink bottle otherwise I also crave salt after a ride.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Just looked it up. My bad! What is the term you use for hitting the wall?
Don't worry, cyclists use the word ''bonking''. However, the meaning is not generally understood throughout most of the population, for whom it has a completely different meaning. Even if they know you're talking of bonking on the bike, they'll simply think you have a rather unusual fetish.

The lemonade isn't far out....

We used to have staff travelling abroad, and "dodgy tummy" was a Hazard

Most of the medicinal solutions used local water which itself is an issue

Coke ( and others) have. a recognised standard, so are safer

We used to recommend cracking a bottle to allow the gas to disperse then drinking it flat

Lots of electrolytes, sugars etc

Top Bottom