Why do people bother to carry puncture repair kits with them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And do you like the taste of road dirt? :laugh:
What's wrong with dirt. Try getting cow poo in your face and mouth as the club mate you are following rides through a sloppy dollop.

Don't try MTB then.... you supplement your food with dirt.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's wrong with dirt. Try getting cow poo in your face and mouth as the club mate you are following rides through a sloppy dollop.

Don't try MTB then.... you supplement your food with dirt.
I wouldn't follow anyone without mudguards that closely or leave my mouth open. Never understood MTBing except as a shortcut either.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tried it a couple of times. Still don't get it.

Mudguards should be used even in summer for that sort of reason. Mouth closed in summer or I eat too many flies.

Ah you need to move into the Peaks for MTB, or Cannock, Wales, anywhere with real hills.

Eating flies are additional food on the go. :laugh:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ah you need to move into the Peaks for MTB, or Cannock, Wales, anywhere with real hills.

Eating flies are additional food on the go. :laugh:
Nah MTBing is best where there are no real hills!!! SE London, Oxleas Wood, you can pretend you're really good at MTB without the risk.

To the OP Some people p'ture often it depends on a lot of things: where you ride, conditions, weight, tyres etc. Touchwood personally I don't p'ture often for the distance I do but it never conveniently happens at a bus stop and I wouldn't want to leave my bike to the local scrotes/ thieves for something that only take 5mins to repair. Personally I dont carry a repair kit (the glue always goes off/ leaks before I get a chance to use it). I carry a spare tube or two (depending on distance), tyre levers and a pump. In the event of a p'ture, it only takes a 5-10 mins to get a tyre off, check it (find out what caused it and remove it; if you can't find it and there's two holes in your tube, its probably a 'snake bite' aka a 'pinch' p'ture and not a foreign object p'ture), swap in a good tube, refit the tyre and pump it up (some use CO2 to make the reinflation even faster). In the unlikely event of three p'tures in one ride I also carry some Parks self adhesive patches which saves time messing about with glue.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Tried it a couple of times. Still don't get it.

Mudguards should be used even in summer for that sort of reason. Mouth closed in summer or I eat too many flies.

mtb = mud and fun..insects are a bonus..

mudguards are more for keeping dry..i use the term dry very loosely..
Plus mudguards clog up...they look crap too..
20160203_115215.jpg
20151223_110453.jpg

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
I've had a puncture once this year. I patched it, but upon discovery ordered four new tubes from Wiggle. My new contingency plan is to carry at least one of the tubes, tyre levers and a mini pump. I would then patch the other tube at home and keep it as a backup!

Top Bottom