Why do people bother to carry puncture repair kits with them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Wise move si_c; spare tube plus outfit. You just never know - ! Hark briantrumpet's wise words about carefully checking the inside of the tyre for nasty sticky out things BEFORE installing new tube / fixed tube. Just don't wizz your fingers round too quickly, or they may end up with a 'puncture' too - ! :whistle: Been there, done it, got the t-shirt - !:rofl:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
spare tube + park patches here. had a puncture on the way to work on thursday, so the spare tube went in and the punctured tube repaired at lunchtime so i had a spare for the return leg.

the spare turned out to be a horrid lifeline/yaw which are a bugger to inflate, so the repaired vittoria tube went back in, and a spare new vittoria tube is now in the tool kit on the commuter…

doog

a9b03114-18a0-4276-bfcd-f2466653a80a_zpskb82ctpa.jpg

Somewhere in the Pyrenees

6223c118-ffb7-458f-a69f-110bfb662ab7_zpsjraxfcxc.jpg

Somewhere south of Dijon

cb6e8889-c773-4666-9eeb-5af3d29850ab_zpsleifppe1.jpg

My personal favourite.....Cholet or somewhere

Hardly commuting I know but always better safe than sorry...

Last edited:

Willam

Those that carry Co2 how do you fit the inner tube without first inflating it a little, as I find that the tube needs a little air to fit it easier?
I find the pumping the longest part of a repair, so considering changing to Co2.

I have to say about the OP, their question sounds as if they have never even been on a bike, even on slow day it only takes 15 minutes to repair, most of that time being the pumping, which is probably less time it would take to walk to the nearest bus stop, or wait for a taxis, not to mention the cost.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Those that carry Co2 how do you fit the inner tube without first inflating it a little, as I find that the tube needs a little air to fit it easier?
I find the pumping the longest part of a repair, so considering changing to Co2.

I have to say about the OP, their question sounds as if they have never even been on a bike, even on slow day it only takes 15 minutes to repair, most of that time being the pumping, which is probably less time it would take to walk to the nearest bus stop, or wait for a taxis, not to mention the cost.
Small frame pump. Then CO2 once the tyre is back on the rim. It's also useful for finding the puncture

I find I can blow enough air into the tube with my mouth to avoid pinching it when fitting.

Tim Hall

You just put your lips together and blow. (I find I can get enough air into a tube to help fitting by puffing some air in from my very own lungs)

Willam

Small frame pump. Then CO2 once the tyre is back on the rim. It's also useful for finding the puncture

Oh right, I was thinking it was one or the other. And yeah a pump would also be needed for repar, think I may just stick to the pump, if I'm carrying it anyway. Thanks

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oh right, I was thinking it was one or the other. And yeah a pump would also be needed for repar, think I may just stick to the pump, if I'm carrying it anyway. Thanks
You will see the light when you use CO2. A second to inflate and to the correct pressure. I can't get 125psi out of a pump other than the track pumps at home

Willam

You will see the light when you use CO2. A second to inflate and to the correct pressure. I can't get 125psi out of a pump other than the track pumps at home

Wow didn't realise you could get that kind of pressure out of co2!

I struggle to get mine past 60psi with my pump. And that nearly kills me.
My tryes only need 80psi so co2 should mangage that no problem then.

Just had a quick look and the Lezyne control drive co2 may mean no pump is needed for part inflation/ finding repair?

Think a new purchase may be about to happen

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I find I can blow enough air into the tube with my mouth to avoid pinching it when fitting.
And do you like the taste of road dirt? :laugh:
You will see the light when you use CO2. A second to inflate and to the correct pressure.
A lifetime of scarring when you freeze the canister to your fingers by holding the wrong bit ;)
I can't get 125psi out of a pump other than the track pumps at home
125psi? You must have balls of steel! :eek:

Top Bottom