Why do people bother to carry puncture repair kits with them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rualexander

Legendary Member
I'm trying to work out why you would carry a lock.
To lock my bike to an immoveable object.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I carry skab (ono) patches with me now, it's a matter of moments to fix a puncture.

The old style (hark at me) rubber patch and rubber solution are slow and can be messy by comparison but still quicker cheaper easier and a far more practical solution than abandoning a bike to potential damage or theft, wasting time and fuel/money leaving it and going back for it all to do the same thing you'd do at the roadside.

If you drive and your car broke down, would you abandon that, hop on a bus home, call the AA or local garage from there and then get another bus back to go and meet them at the car?

Incidentally, Greater Manchester's entire Metrolink network has been down for 5 hours today, delays galore when it finally got fixed and knock on's onto other public transport.

A bike even with a puncture once or twice a year on lucky average is still a better and more direct option even in a big urban splash like Manchester.

But each to their own and all that.

Debade

Über Member
While we have terrible bicycling infrastructure in Connecticut, USA, we do have a couple of cool things around here. One is bike racks on buses. So, it can be helpful for my local commutes if I have a flat and would prefer to fix it at home. But, as many of you have said, it is limited opportunity for many rides since I am out of the bus service area. .

But, a real cool program that has been around for a year or so is the automotive insurance company, AAA, which has offered road repair for cars (flats/dead battery/etc) for years, now offers support for bikes to AAA members. They will transport you and your bike for up to 10 miles if you have a breakdown. That may get you home or perhaps back to public transport or simply closer to a friend.

I do carry tire changing stuff since it is fairly easy work but I also like the backup.

Perhaps if there are any AAA members on the site, you may want to mention this program to the UK AAA company.

Colin_P

Guru
It is an integral part of cycling, as others have said, none at all for ages, then lots in short succesion and even rarely two at the same time. It is far better to overcome any pucture fixing phobia and get on and do it.

Fixing a puncture is also a guilt free way to have a little rest.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Fixing a puncture is also a guilt free way to have a little rest.

Unless you have Marathon+ tyres, then it is a full blown workout. :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
I carry spare tubes and have used them more to get Muppets who carry nothing out of trouble. Remind me what does a bus look like, and why I should get others to waste time due to being to not being able to get myself out of a simple to fix problem.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Unlit country lanes for me with no bus service to where i work or anywhere close especially at the times i commute .]With regards punctures i used to average 5-6 a year over 5000 ish miles .
The record is 3 punctures within a couple of miles ....................

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Also if you carry a puncture repair kit you can lend it to those who go out without one;).

I've only abandoned my bike once and that was when I had a mechanical where part of my disk brake pad jammed in the mechanism and I needed some brute force, so I continued to my nearby destination (had the intended meeting) and then got a lift back to pick up the bike.

In the off chance that your tyres get punctured, would you not just use public transport?

I would lock my bike up to a nearby rack, and then catch a bus or taxi to where-ever I need to be. Do other people's tyres get punctured that often to make it worthwhile constantly carrying a repair kit?

Sorry. Am speechless. Await more posts on your minimalist approach to cycling.

only idiots ride without a pump and a kit/spare tubes.
Generally agree, though I would add beginners. I am sure most of us did it when we were kids/when we began adult cycling.

I would add to the sin/idiot bin some mamils who ride with mini mini ear-ring pumps.

I do hope the OP has a smartlhone so that, if s/he has coverage they can post a help plea to cchat.

Top Bottom