Why do people feel obliged to offer their ignorant opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Cycling home yesterday, with my 2 year old daughter in the seat.
She is firmly restrained in the seat, and the back of it is higher than her head, plus it wraps round the sides somewhat (see attachment). So I cannot see any circumstances where something could hit her head short of being completely crushed by a car or something, in which case a helmet isn't going to help.

Anyway a youngish woman overtook us, and she said "If you go to Halfords you can get a helmet for your child".
Her voice was filled with disdain, as though I was a child abuser for not putting a plastic hat on my daughter!

It really annoyed me, but I just ignored her.
I'm sure her intentions were good, but I do actually value my daughter's safety thank you very much!

Attachments

• IMG_20131002_081036.jpg
    IMG_20131002_081036.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 95

Ajay

Veteran
That pom pom should offer more protection than most poly hats

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 3271137, member: 45"]She's a cutie![/QUOTE]

Thanks! She's a joy.

She loves going on the back. In particular, she likes pressing the button for crossings. There are a few on our route to nursery, where it's a shared use.
If it's already green for us so I don't stop to let her press the button, she spends the next few minutes grumpily saying "Button, button!"

fimm

Veteran
Oh, she's lovely (and I don't often go "Oh, cute" over baby photos...)

(Do we think we can divert this thread enough that it gets moved to the cafe?) ;)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ah ben, what a lovely photo, shows what a smashing dad you are! :smile:
Doesn't seem five minutes since we took a similar pom-pom photo of Master A_T and he's 26 now... happy memories to treasure.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
If its anything like my daughter's trailer she will be strapped in to the centre of a rigid cage by a 5 point harness. She'll no more need a helmet than the average car passenger.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The same people who think you're a bad parent for not strapping a helmet to your child's head whilst they're strapped to a bike would call you an over protective mollycodling parent if you strapped a helmet to their head for nursery play... an activity which i expect produces a fair few knocks.

Riding a recumbent trike is superb.........

I told one guy that I wasn't wearing one because trikes were exempt... and he believed me!

Also had one asked me why I was not using a cycle path. I courteously explained that unfortunatelythe trike exeeded the maximum width for vehicles using a shared use facility and I was hence not allowed to use them... again I was believed.

The same people who think you're a bad parent for not strapping a helmet to your child's head whilst they're strapped to a bike would call you an over protective mollycodling parent if you strapped a helmet to their head for nursery play... an activity which i expect produces a fair few knocks.

Would that be a Thudguard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom