Why do people feel obliged to offer their ignorant opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Also had one asked me why I was not using a cycle path. I courteously explained that unfortunatelythe trike exeeded the maximum width for vehicles using a shared use facility and I was hence not allowed to use them... again I was believed.
Around here that's actually true. My KMX trike won't fit through several restrictions placed on shared cycle paths :laugh: but :cursing:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nowadays we live in a society where people think that it's just fine and dandy to have a go at random people that they see. My friend Debbie had a woman come up to her in Sainsburys and say that she ought to put most of her shopping back as she is too fat to consider buying any food! (She's not huge, just a stone or so overweight). I'm not surprised that someone thought that they knew better about cycling.
Lots of stupid people about.

400bhp

Guru
I found that when my little nipper was less than the height of the back of the seat when she was sat in it, then wearing a helmet didn't work as it pushed her neck and head forward.

Silly woman. You did v well keeping quiet. I hope you told your little un what a silly billy woman she was. I found such conversations with my youngster were great for relieving anger.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I have to say that I do not like those seats at all but not having kids of my own I keep my mouth shut on the roads about it . I'm pretty sure people don't put their children in them thinking its 50/50 if they will be ok . She is a cutie and loving it :thumbsup:

AlanT82

Haven't had strangers saying anything, but (some uninformed non-cycling) relatives tell me that I should be wearing a helmet, and that my daughter (5) should wear one too. My daughter has a helmet but if she wants to ride her bike without it then I don't have a problem with that. I'd like her to grow up viewing cycling as something that is normal and doesn't need special clothing or equipment (other than the bike of course!) to do.

So, I don't know why people feel obliged to offer their opinion. Not sure if they are genuinely concerned for our safety or what.

Dmcd33

Reminds me of a time where a woman came up to me and my kids, who were jumping in puddles with wellies on, and said "Don't let them do that, they'll get dirty". I didn't reply!

Also, why does a car suddenly make someone so self rightous and patronising to others?

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Typical. I will put you in danger to make my point. Hate people like that, some twisted and broken logic at work. Sort of people that should be left alone with a spoon.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE="Dmcd33, post: 3273706, member: 32299"]Reminds me of a time where a woman came up to me and my kids, who were jumping in puddles with wellies on, and said "Don't let them do that, they'll get dirty". I didn't reply!

Also, why does a car suddenly make someone so self rightous and patronising to others?[/QUOTE]

I hear this a lot when I take my boy to the local parks. Other parents telling their kids not to do this or do that or they and/or their clothes will get dirty.
They are kids, they are designed to get dirty, they love getting dirty, getting dirty is part of having fun and growing up.
Clothes can go in the washing machine, kids can go in the bath.

Sara_H

Guru
Cycling home yesterday, with my 2 year old daughter in the seat.
She is firmly restrained in the seat, and the back of it is higher than her head, plus it wraps round the sides somewhat (see attachment). So I cannot see any circumstances where something could hit her head short of being completely crushed by a car or something, in which case a helmet isn't going to help.

Anyway a youngish woman overtook us, and she said "If you go to Halfords you can get a helmet for your child".
Her voice was filled with disdain, as though I was a child abuser for not putting a plastic hat on my daughter!

It really annoyed me, but I just ignored her.
I'm sure her intentions were good, but I do actually value my daughter's safety thank you very much!
Excessive cuteness alert! If I had have overtaken you and your beautiful passenger I would have been too busy going googly over your babba to make snidey, busy body remarks.

I'd have told her to eff off.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Reminds me of a time where a woman came up to me and my kids, who were jumping in puddles with wellies on, and said "Don't let them do that, they'll get dirty". I didn't reply!

Also, why does a car suddenly make someone so self rightous and patronising to others?

Oh, I should point out the lady who overtook me was cycling.

[QUOTE="Dmcd33, post: 3273706, member: 32299"]Reminds me of a time where a woman came up to me and my kids, who were jumping in puddles with wellies on, and said "Don't let them do that, they'll get dirty". I didn't reply!

I hear this a lot when I take my boy to the local parks. Other parents telling their kids not to do this or do that or they and/or their clothes will get dirty.
They are kids, they are designed to get dirty, they love getting dirty, getting dirty is part of having fun and growing up.
Clothes can go in the washing machine, kids can go in the bath.[/QUOTE]

Dirt is good. The more kids are wrapped up in sanitised cotton wool, not only will they miss out on having fun, but also have a weakened immune system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom