Why do people shout from cars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
The fact is that with very few exceptions they should be pedalling. Not pedalling down a hill is a tell-tale sign of a pob.

Those downhills are my breaks, I'm in no real rush to get to work:biggrin:

A former friend of mine was cycling along one day and received a half full can of Cocain Cola to the side of his unhelmeted head. Covered in a sticky mess he saw red and chased after them for quite a few miles in London traffic. They realised he was following and kept looking back. He pulled out his U-lock to put in a panel but instead, as he eventually cycled alongside their car stuck in traffic the passenger stuck his head out and received a U-lock around the side of his chin.

bonj2

mickle said:
A former friend of mine was cycling along one day and received a half full can of Cocain Cola to the side of his unhelmeted head. Covered in a sticky mess he saw red and chased after them for quite a few miles in London traffic. They realised he was following and kept looking back. He pulled out his U-lock to put in a panel but instead, as he eventually cycled alongside their car stuck in traffic the passenger stuck his head out and received a U-lock around the side of his chin.

Is that why he's only a former friend?

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
:blush:
It shouldn't matter to them whether I cycle or not. If they're going to take offence, they should take offence at the actual words said, rather than the fact they're said out of the window of a motor vehicle. The fact is that with very few exceptions they should be pedalling. Not pedalling down a hill is a tell-tale sign of a pob.

The point being that if you're driving past them rather than cycling, they are much less likely to be able to hear what you say, because you'll be past very quickly, and there will be the noise of the engine to overcome. So they will be more likely to be unable to make out the actual words. So all your shining wit will be lost.

If they 'should' be pedalling downhill, does that mean you think we ought to all be riding fixed? Otherwise, why bother with a freewheel?

Tetedelacourse

mickle said:

:blush::smile::ohmy:

bonj2

Arch said:
If they 'should' be pedalling downhill, does that mean you think we ought to all be riding fixed? Otherwise, why bother with a freewheel?

Good question, but the answer would be as follows: (a) gears. Apparently you can't have a fixie with gears (but I don't personally understand/believe the reason why not) (;) Cornering - I want to carry on pedalling when i'm going round a corner fast, I don't want to put my outside foot down to balance better, and besides going round a corner pedalling feels unnatural (c) general safety - sometimes I want/need to be able to keep still relative to the bike to maintain balance/control if there is a sudden hazard or potential emergency situation.

bonj2

Arch said:

Good question, but the answer would be as follows: (a) gears. Apparently you can't have a fixie with gears (but I don't personally understand/believe the reason why not) (;) Cornering - I want to carry on pedalling when i'm going round a corner fast, I don't want to put my outside foot down to balance better, and besides going round a corner pedalling feels unnatural (c) general safety - sometimes I want/need to be able to keep still relative to the bike to maintain balance/control if there is a sudden hazard or potential emergency situation.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:

All good reasons to have a freewheel if you want one. But to go back to your original point, why 'should' anyone be pedalling downhill? You seem to think a proper cyclist never stops pedalling. Why would you waste effort, spinning out, if you're freewheeling at a maximum safe or comfortable speed?

I've discussed the fixie with gears issue with better engineers than you or I, and suggested that you could have something like a Schlumpf unicycle gear hub in the BB, which I think would give you 2 gears and still have fixed cranks, but the consensus, as I remember, was that it wouldn't be up to the stresses of bike use.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:

All good reasons to have a freewheel if you want one. But to go back to your original point, why 'should' anyone be pedalling downhill? You seem to think a proper cyclist never stops pedalling. Why would you waste effort, spinning out, if you're freewheeling at a maximum safe or comfortable speed?

I've discussed the fixie with gears issue with better engineers than you or I, and suggested that you could have something like a Schlumpf unicycle gear hub in the BB, which I think would give you 2 gears and still have fixed cranks, but the consensus, as I remember, was that it wouldn't be up to the stresses of bike use.

Top Bottom