Why do presto valves exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have had enless problems with these long tall presto valves. They tear the tube where it joins the valve even on the slightest wiggle on the pump. Today was the last straw. I went out to clean the bike and pump up the tyres etc...and ended up with three punctures!!!! twice the bloody valve tore the tube, and the third one was an exploding tube ! I am using a track pump and inflating to 100psi. I have now run out of spare tubes and it's new year, so no chance at the LBS , so I am grounded for a while.

Why can't road tyres come with one of those screw on schrader valves that mtbs have? They work a heck of a lot easier. Is there some reason why the dam presto valve exists other than to make my life difficult?

I just find the connecting of the valve to the pump so bloody fiddly and cumbersome....I heard I might be able to get tubes with a schrader valve but then I'd need to drill my wheel rims and I'm not about top do that..not after the day i'm having....oh yeah I found out I need new brake blocks as well...looks like more cost...as always...

why is this so maddeningly annoying, why are these things never clear?:ohmy:

They don't exist, maybe that's the cause of your problems :ohmy: - presta valves do though! I preferred Schrader on my old bike, but only because I could use a car foot pump, not had any problems with presta apart from that...

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
been using presta tubes for years, both MTB and roadbike. Only real time it ever causes me any problems is with rims drilled for schraeder valves and the presta valve, and its only that they wobble a bit.

Schwalbe tubes are good, they have a screw collar that screws down onto the tube, that holds it 'straight', and you can get them little rubber gromits to hold the tube a bit better

Brock

Not sure why connecting your pump to a presta should me more fiddly than to a schrader.. Apart from having to loosen the valve screw thingy of course.

There is always presta > schrader adapters if one of those would help, although that would make the whole process even fiddlier in my opinion.

RedBike

They tear the tube where it joins the valve even on the slightest wiggle on the pump
If the valve is correctly fitted you shouldn't be able to wiggle it never mind tear the tube. Quite a few brands even feature a screw coller to lock the valve in place.

twice the bloody valve tore the tube, and the third one was an exploding tube
It's beginning to sound like the tubes you're using are either complete rubbish or the wrong ones.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Apparently they're a lot better a holding high pressures for longer.

Personally, I don't like the things at all either and my new MTB has them now too :ohmy:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Presta do not hold higher pressures than Schrader valves, neither are they any better than retaining it. All valves work on the same principle of the air pressure forcing the valve closed, the reason for Presta is that most road bike rims are too narrow for a Schrader valve.

bonj2

btfb: they exist because they are better. They hold air better (apparently), i like them 'cos they've got a screw thing that when you screw it in means it won't let air out.

as steve austin says screw the collar down to to rim before you try to pump it up. as you pump it you may be able to (and thus should) screw it down more.

Same here, no issues. I always find putting some counter pressure on through the tyre helps steady the whole process.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
... I have now run out of spare tubes and it's new year, so no chance at the LBS , so I am grounded for a while. ... :sad:

No it isn't New Year - that's midnight on December 31st. Tomorrow is normal Sunday opening so get down to Halfords and buy some tubes. Monday is a working day so, again, Halfords will be open and quite possibly some LBSs. My company is also working on Monday selling (inter alia) incontinence pants to the NHS or HRMs but, sadly, not cycle inner tubes.

Should add I've been using presta valves on track & road tyres since the early 80s (probably earlier) and I think I've only had a single valve failure - sadly at the top of a tarmac velo embankment.

yenrod

Once Big: (nuther story coming on :biggrin:) 'turned out I was 25mls from home, 2 thirds into a ride - and I got a puncture it was Autumn but not a bad Sunday, bright not cold. Fixing puncture and the 2nd tube went down = torn like yours by the valve.

I rode home 25mls on a flat as I had NO WAY OF FIXING IT.

At the last set of lights a cheeky barsteward of a kid leans out of a car window and says 'heh lad youve got a puncture'....

I was beyond retort by then

So count yerself lucky matey boy ! that you were in your backyard :smile:

SO BIG: Take your tyres off and get some plasters (as in cut yourself plasters!) and put them round the hole = no sharp bits :tongue:

Top Bottom