Why do the Dutch still use inches?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The French refer to their MTB wheels as '26 pouces' (=inches), and now in keeping with modern trends they also have '29 pouces', for what us old roadies would have called 700c wheels for mountain bikes.
I guess it comes partly from the manufacturers who market their products internationally, partly it's just convention - after all in the UK we happily use stones to measure people's weight but have real difficulty if asked to convert that into any other measure.
If you ride a mountain bike in the UK you don't call a 29" wheel a 700c.
Mountain bike wheels are still measured in inches in the UK.

RWright

Guru
Back in the day a 'deuce and a quarter' was a Buick with a 225 cu. inch engine and fans of those cars still refer to them that way, however modern day US engines are measured in litres.

I am not trying to be the US Engine size Nazi here but the old Buick deuce and a quarter did not have a 225 cubic inch engine. That would have never gone very far or very fast with an engine that size from that era. The 225 was the length of the car in inches from bumper to bumper. Most of the engines if not all were over 400 cubic inches. :thumbsup:

grolyat

Car wheels and tyres are measured in inches too, all over the world.
A 175/70TR14 tyre has a width of 175mm, a profile of 70% and fits a wheel with a 14 inch diameter. I think.

Top Bottom