Why do we bother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw a chap at the A40/A44 roundabout on Oxford ring road last night at midnight. He was on a horrible cheap MTB, dressed all in dark colours with no lights. Nothing especially unusual there, but what did surprise me was that he was followed round the roundabout by a police car, the occupants of which proceeded to do absolutely bugger all about his lack of lights. I'd have arrested him merely for reinforcing negative stereotypes.

potsy

Rambler
Too much trouble/paperwork I expect,Darwin will sort him out soon enough;)
I had a light related problem on Monday which I have mentioned before so apologies to those who have already heard it,forgot my lights,managed to borrow a friends cheap Tesco special to get home with,within 2 miles I'd already seen 3 cyclists with no lights whatsoever:wacko: and there was me panicing about getting home safe.

Arch

Married to Night Train
XmisterIS said:
While cycling in ninja-mode at night is particularly stupid, I don't think it's a crime ... I could be wrong though!

I think it is:

"The Highway Code
Rules for cyclists (59-82)

These rules are in addition to those in the following sections, which apply to all vehicles (except the motorway section). See also 'You and your bicycle'.

* You and your bicycle

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp."

MUST means that there is a relevant piece of legislation relating to bike lights.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
In all seriousness (3BM's antics aside), you would at least expect the feds to stop and 'suggest' he thinks twice about doing that again.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Blue said:
The Highway Code is a code, not a piece of legislation of any sort, criminal or otherwise.
As Arch pointed out, the word 'MUST' (in capitals) has a special meaning in the Highway Code: it refers to something required by law (ie. there is legislation on that point).

Keith Oates

Janner
When I was in Vietnam hardly anyone (except me) had lights on their bikes. However most did have orange reflectors on their pedals and I was very pleasantly surprised at how good they were at 'showing up' when car headlight beams caught them. Of all the refectors I've seen these pedal ones seem to be the most effective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ben Lovejoy said:
As Arch pointed out, the word 'MUST' (in capitals) has a special meaning in the Highway Code: it refers to something required by law (ie. there is legislation on that point).

Yeah, it's funny isn't it - I think I pretty much said that, but maybe someone can't read.

Top Bottom