Why do we go there?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Interesting. I have a brother, 13 months younger than me. I've often wondered whether my mother's understandably diverted attentions have had any long term effect on me. Not into fetishism of any kind though, not that I'm likely to admit to on a public forum anyway!

darth vadar

Über Member
<Darth Vader will hate me for this.>

Yep, you are right - I will !!!! :rolleyes:

particularly the idea that one can cycle away from everything except yourself

Except that this is not an idea - it is a FACT.

Fetishism, repetitive behaviours, hair pulling, skin scratching, rocking.

What has that got to do with going for a leisurely bike ride or a commute to work or whatever. If you enjoy it, do it. You may continue to enjoy it and do it more, or you might get fed up after six months and then try something else.

If you really are 'Haplessly trapped in the East Midlands' why not try cycling away from it cos' then you will only have yourself - and then maybe you will feel better.

According to the Intellectuals on this thread - it really does work !!

:biggrin:

yello

According to the Intellectuals on this thread - it really does work !!
Back to intellectuals? I thought you'd resolved that one.

The posts have nothing to do with intellect; they're about sensations and emotion. Join in, free yourself from your earthly chains! ;)

The behaviours cited by those psychoanalysts are proper cases where the people concerned can't function properly. I just thought that the analogy was funny, and demonstrated how deeply and irretrievably nuts people are who enjoy the really extreme elements of cycling endurance...you are right the dysfunctional behaviours point has nothing to do with cycling, but in the same quote, phillip ogden cites more everyday activities, such as extreme endurance cycling, as symptomatic of the underlying problem.

It's not technically a fact that you can cycle away from everything except yourself. You are always cycling on something, or in something, or around something. Its more the meaning that you attach to your environs, where you've come from and where you are going, which is significant. So I suppose it's down to what you would class as 'fact', and whether it co-incides with commonly held definitions of the term, and others' definitions too. I would never claim to establish fact. And I work in research!

The phrase 'haplessly trapped' comes from 'vic reeves big night out', if you're interested....

'ey up, he's coming at me with his pitchfork <runs>

jimboalee

I simply hate lonely country roads. If this whole country was one large city, I'd be as happy as a pig in shoot. I enjoy, and get amuzement from watching other roadusers and pedestrians. There can be some very comical moments. The chatter, the noise, the busyness of town... I did LEJOG. I had to do it from big town to big town. I did San Francisco to San Jose through Silicon Valley, 200 km round trip and didn't see an animal in a field... fantastic.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whereas... I would be happy if I never visited another city in my life. Hebden Bridge has a population of about 6,000 and it is the ideal size for me. I can buy 90+% of what I need here and buy the rest on the internet. Halifax is only 8 miles away but I doubt that I visit it more than once every couple of years.

I love lonely country roads and can be on them within 20 minutes from where I live. I would be perfectly content never to see another road user (except for cyclists!) or pedestrian. There are very few comical moments in cities. The chatter, the noise, the busyness of town - can't stand it.

When I do a LEJOG. I will bypass big towns, probably adding thousands of feet of climbing and hundreds of miles in distance - no matter. 

By the sound of it, I would never cycle from San Francisco to San Jose through Silicon Valley, a 200 km round trip without a single animal in a field... eugh!

Each to his/her own!

I do it because I enjoy cycling and exploring new places - add in that I like camping and I am a happy bunny - (I was going to say a match made in heaven - but my serotonin levels have always been pretty normal) - and because I like to see all aspects of the country I am visiting I try to see a bit of everything - towns and cities, mountains and rivers, urban and industrial – I do draw the line after a few days of "too many trees" though

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Small town boy me, born and bred, but I like the cut'n'thrust of a good city from time to time. As a young man, well before the M25 existed, I used to go motorcycle touring. To go north we rode straight through London. Lambs Conduit Street to be precise iirc. Happy days. Now I get my fix on Boris Bikes and folders.

Now take a FNRttC, or one of my solo variants on the 'leave at midnight' theme, starting in the still beating heart of a metropolis and escaping from it to the countryside, well, that's something really, really, special.

jimboalee

Whereas... I would be happy if I never visited another city in my life. Hebden Bridge has a population of about 6,000 and it is the ideal size for me. I can buy 90+% of what I need here and buy the rest on the internet. Halifax is only 8 miles away but I doubt that I visit it more than once every couple of years.

I love lonely country roads and can be on them within 20 minutes from where I live. I would be perfectly content never to see another road user (except for cyclists!) or pedestrian. There are very few comical moments in cities. The chatter, the noise, the busyness of town - can't stand it.

When I do a LEJOG. I will bypass big towns, probably adding thousands of feet of climbing and hundreds of miles in distance - no matter.

By the sound of it, I would never cycle from San Francisco to San Jose through Silicon Valley, a 200 km round trip without a single animal in a field... eugh!

Each to his/her own!

Oh to be in the draft of a forty ton artic'. The punch in the back as its bow wave hits me,,, that's heaven. :whistle: ;)

A5 Telford to Shrewsbury.

mike1026

Thanks Kirstie I can't wait to tell my Psychiatrist that cycle touring is not only a symptom it is also the cure
thumbsup.png

If you have too much Serotonin use what you don't need on your chain.

I just didn't want this really great thread to be left on the A5 somewhere between Telford and Shrewsbury better to use NCR45 and stop at the Mytton and Mermaid.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Still my favourite ride: the 2600km Calais-Brindisi, solo. Nothing pre-booked except a route-sheet and brevet card.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Sounds great - do you have the route sheet for this?

I have, but I'd have to scan it or re-type. To be precise, this was the 'new' route, longer than the original 2000km-ish route which was mostly main roads and had to be completed in less than a week. The original Brindisi Seven are Audax folklore. The new route is over 2500km and so, paradoxically, easier because it has a 200km per day min speed.

Very roughly: Calais/Beauvais/Paris/Beaune/Chambery/Col de Ceni/Castell' Arquato/Bologna/San Marino/ Ascona/Foggia/Alberobello/Brindisi.

Top Bottom