Cycletravel why use it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Does not know where we are, checked the map for routes . Almost nothing in from the coast and Spain is just as bad if you exclude the famous camio routes.
Here is a comparison of routes in Cycletravel and Veloviewer. The veloviewer red is popular and blue/faint blue are not used very often. Gives an indication of through routes but no details, blue and faint blue are the best as you could be on a great route or some mountain goat / swamp style ride as you can't tell the type of surface unless you have good topo mapping.

1000022873.png

1000022874.png

Last edited:

richardfm

Veteran
Cycle Travel can know where you are. Click on the arrowhead icon towards the top left in your image.
If you want a route enter start and ending points in the Form and To boxes. Cycle Travel will find you a route between the two.

CT is a route planner. I believe Veloviewer is not.
It's a bit like complaining that the milk you get from your bull isn't nice on your cornflakes.

Your CT screengrab is from the CT website. Depending on your phone settings, the website on the phone will show your current location. There is also an app that will allow for route planning on the fly.

There is a basic search facility on the CT website that allows us to search (by title only) the routes of other people.

There are a whole host of useful features on CT for route planning:
(Ever improving) Elevation profiles
Choice of surface options (paved, gravel, all)
Route summaries in terms of distance, elevation, surfaces, ferries, pedestrian areas etc.
Overnight stops to break long journeys
Accommodation options
Route suggestions and alternatives
Loops
GPX importation
Exporting to most gps units
PDF printouts
Adding POIs
Following "official routes"
Adding personal notes to routes
There is a small library of official routes as well that are ready to be used.

And if all that wasn't enough it reliably picks interesting, safe and scenic routes.

But where's the adventure in that?

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
The problem is Cycletravel can't even find where I am. Look at the maps and work it out. Cycletravel only has the boring popular routes ,I am in Bonbarral and its still trying to find it.
Going to stick with Garmin connect and the Explore app for my handheld with topo maps.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
CT is a route planner. I believe Veloviewer is not.
It's a bit like complaining that the milk you get from your bull isn't nice on your cornflakes.

Your CT screengrab is from the CT website. Depending on your phone settings, the website on the phone will show your current location. There is also an app that will allow for route planning on the fly.

There is a basic search facility on the CT website that allows us to search (by title only) the routes of other people.

There are a whole host of useful features on CT for route planning:
(Ever improving) Elevation profiles
Choice of surface options (paved, gravel, all)
Route summaries in terms of distance, elevation, surfaces, ferries, pedestrian areas etc.
Overnight stops to break long journeys
Accommodation options
Route suggestions and alternatives
Loops
GPX importation
Exporting to most gps units
PDF printouts
Adding POIs
Following "official routes"
Adding personal notes to routes
There is a small library of official routes as well that are ready to be used.

And if all that wasn't enough it reliably picks interesting, safe and scenic routes.

But where's the adventure in that?
We don't sit at home planning routes and accommodation where is the excitement in that. Example, today has a weather warning for big winds on the coast, turned inland and made other plans can't do that if you have a planned tour with accommodation booked.🫣

The problem is Cycletravel can't even find where I am. Look at the maps and work it out. Cycletravel only has the boring popular routes ,I am in Bonbarral and its still trying to find it.
Going to stick with Garmin connect and the Explore app for my handheld with topo maps.

I'll type this very, very s l o w l y.

Cycle
Travel
Is
A
Route
Planner.

It Is Not A Library Of Bike Routes.

To find your location tap on the arrow
Location arrow.png

If that's not working check your settings (permissions). It's working fine for me.

We don't sit at home planning routes and accommodation where is the excitement in that. Example, today has a weather warning for big winds on the coast, turned inland and made other plans can't do that if you have a planned tour with accommodation booked.🫣
Wow. That's a great idea. I must try that sometime. :rolleyes:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Very bizarre.

Type "Bombarral" tap "circular route" then "suggest"...

Screenshot_20240310_224923_Chrome.jpg

Took 10 seconds. Move the slider to change distance of the suggestions.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
That's the problem with the routing its mostly circular tours, Komoot is the same. Will stick to our way of doing routes , don't like knowing what's round every corner .We like the occasional surprise.

richardfm

Veteran
That's the problem with the routing its mostly circular tours, Komoot is the same. Will stick to our way of doing routes , don't like knowing what's round every corner .We like the occasional surprise.

If you don't want a circular route then enter start and end points.
If you don't want to know what is around every corner then don't use a route planner or a map , just ride your bike.

That's the problem with the routing its mostly circular tours
It's not.
At all.

To, From, type or click.

It's the height of ignorance to go online and slag off a named service with little to no evidence. Especially when the poster appears to not have a clue about how the service actually operates.

But, hey, that's OK when we get (yet another) confused rant about planning, adventure and the use of tech.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's the height of ignorance to go online and slag off a named service with little to no evidence. Especially when the poster appears to not have a clue about how the service actually operates.

......Especially when the person who invented CT (if that's the right word when it comes to techie stuff. Started or developed, whatever) is a well known member of this forum.
FWIW cycle.travel is my first call when planning a route. Sadly I haven't used it for a while but that is down to my lack of non local cycling, for reasons outlined elsewhere.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Simple answer We have one rule when going on tour book first and last days accomodation. Who wants a routine or schedule, that's for at home or work. Cycletravel and Komoot are for people who are afraid of the unknown.
Perhaps this section of the forums is dying, lots of questions but few active on tour. Is it because some think that they can't be bothered with criticism , a telling off or advice that they don't need.🥱

Top Bottom