Cycletravel why use it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
Some people need routines and schedules. Many people are afraid of the unknown. It's called being human.
Why do you need to book a first and last days accommodation? Surely a battle hardened, world renowned, expert touring cyclist like yourself can survive without the luxuries of a hotel/tent/campervan etc. Why do you even have tech with you like a GPS and mobile phone? Can't you wander the earth free of these freedom killing devices?
One last thing, cyclechat is a mostly UK populated forum. It's been winter here. Few people tour in the cold and wet weather.
We need somewhere to store our bike cases.
You are correct it looks like a UK think looking at the web page.
Komoot and Cycletravel are just a digital form of the old books for cyclists. Does anyone remember the Lonely Planet,Rough Guide and Footprint travel books .
We learnt a long time ago that you could have better, cheaper and a more interesting time avoiding the must see go places using recommended tour companies ,use local knowledge. Been doing that for the last 40 years .
Here is one, Tiwanaku man and the main site 20 pence in a bus from La Paz. Trailfinders were advertising the trip for £25.
Another trip Uyuni to the Salars in jeep, £250 bookings in advance. We could have had it for $50 on the day as they ran around touting for business. We started to cycle across to Chile the next day. Same applies worldwide, if you have the time go independently.
Just as presta says doing it your own way is best.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
@Sallar55 just enjoy your tour and keep posting the pics, they're great.

Here for anyone who hasn't seen them.

https://www.cyclechat.net/search/293013/?t=post&c[thread]=117414&c[users]=Sallar55&o=relevance

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
If you like it use it , I prefer Garmin Connect as I think it's better for me . Lots of agro because I think it's rubbish, others have different preferences like using Komoot for routing.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's a lot of enjoyment to be had from just planning. Sometimes, though, you can plan a route to the nth degree and what you find on the ground doesn't look like what you expected, especially if you get off the beaten track.
I'd a cousin who did that, on his one and only cycle tour.
Start times, hourly distance, time of stops. Where they'd be eating. He did however miss out the simple things like the terrain isn't always flat, or that it might rain(Which when it did, it "rained".), but the timetable didn't allow for stopping for weather.

It was only "that far" on the map!

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I’ve used cycletravel quite a bit to get me from my home to places I have never been before , how I believed how it worked is that it takes your 2 destinations and mackles it together with other peoples routes most used and gives you the best route according to your desire . In a route of about 350 mile I think I was on 3 mile of main road , all the rest was minor roads and quiet tarmac tracks - I wouldn’t have known this trying to plot a route on maps and I think it does what it does very very well . It may not be the site to use if you want to increase your stocks and shares portfolio but for that I am sure there would be other sites , Use the correct site for the job you want

geocycle

Legendary Member
There are lots of route planners with different strengths. For me Cycle.Travel is great as it picks out the quiet roads I like. At times the algorithm is a bit too cautious and I often adjust to use a main road if I know it is safe. Some of the others are better if you want to get A to B more quickly. I only use the web version as I just download a route to the wahoo rather than follow on the phone. It tends to underestimate climbing by about 20% but I believe Richard has tweaked it recently. I like having the OS maps as an extra backdrop when planning. For short multi day tours I plan each day and accommodation in advance but longer trips are more fluid and routes are plotted the night before.

Perhaps this section of the forums is dying, lots of questions but few active on tour. Is it because some think that they can't be bothered with criticism , a telling off or advice that they don't need.🥱
I think we actually agree on something! A lot of regular posters have disappeared. Some new threads barely generate a response at the first attempt.
My own view of this place of late is that it's becoming something of a hen-house with a few old hens going around pick-pick-picking at everything.

But then there's this.....
Who wants a routine or schedule, that's for at home or work. Cycletravel and Komoot are for people who are afraid of the unknown.
Unnecessary , general and ignorant insults.

The forum's dying, you say? Jeez! I wonder why?

Ah!
if you have the time go independently.
And those that maybe don't have the time? We're afraid of the unknown?

I have a friend who said😲
I am Living the Dream
Never mind other people. What do you think?
Are you living the dream?
If so, why do you come on here and urinate all over other people's dreams? It's a regular thing you do.

Lots of agro because I think it's rubbish,
Speaking for myself, my responses are motivated by the fact that you have maligned online, a teeny, tiny operation, run by a fellow member of this community.
  • You don't appear to know how to use it.
  • You've failed to acknowledge anyone who offered assistance.
  • You have unfavourably compared it to another service that is completely different.
  • You have continued to rubbish a perfectly useful service based only on opinion with absolutely no facts to back it up.

Those opinions stay online. Long after we're gone.
The classy thing to do would be to request the Moderators to delete the entire thread.

Living the dream? Not in my book of dreams.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This whole thread is wierd. If you don’t like cycle.travel, don’t use it but I’ve never had a bad route from it! It’s got me and my family safely to Rome over two summers and has given me many lovely days out!

yeah I agree, I used to use ride with GPS as thats what i'd found and got used to, but stumbled onto cycle.travel through this forum and prefer.

how I believed how it worked is that it takes your 2 destinations and mackles it together with other peoples routes most used and gives you the best route according to your desire .
I don't think CT gives much weight to popularity of route at all. If it did, we'd all be cycling the roads the local peleton rides.
It uses a variety of criteria to pre-prepare routes then pulls those together when we make a request.
(Subscribers have a greater choice of maps and some of those will show most or all the dedicated bike routes or paths in a region).

I believe its main criteria are for quiet roads (or dedicated bike path) then climbing (it likes to minimise it), then surface and believe it or not, scenery!

We really have very few (automatic) choices - paved, gravel, all (both) and lately night (especially for urban UK riding). There is a brand new option to follow "official" bike routes for more long distance rides. However, we can easily add viapoints to change the CT suggestions to suit ourselves. My understanding is that some category of rider don't like CT's automatic routes, preferring direct over meandering and attacking climbs as opposed to avoiding them.

There are a few quirks. For example, a desire to avoid busy roads can see us being dragged off a main road for a km or two only to rejoin it and then be directed off again. Similarly, CT can have a tendency to bypass towns (more traffic), something especially noticeable in NL.
Another quirk is that it rarely chooses to automatically follow an official bike route (although we can now tell it to do just that). That's because CT's own calculations offer a "better" experience than the planners of the routes. In my experience CT is correct.

Any online planner depends on the quality of the underlying data and sometimes that data can be dubious so we should never depend 100% on any planner. In my experience, CT does a better, more reliable job than most others.

Speaking for myself, my responses are motivated by the fact that you have maligned online, a teeny, tiny operation, run by a fellow member of this community.
  • You don't appear to know how to use it.
  • You've failed to acknowledge anyone who offered assistance.
  • You have unfavourably compared it to another service that is completely different.
  • You have continued to rubbish a perfectly useful service based only on opinion with absolutely no facts to back it up.

Those opinions stay online. Long after we're gone.
The classy thing to do would be to request the Moderators to delete the entire thread.

I actually think this thread has turned out really well! Because:
- it's been hugely entertaining for some of us.
- it's been a very good advert for cycle.travel.
- it's turned into a pastiche of the Monty Pythons "Romans" sketch:

"Yeah, but apart from
(Ever improving) Elevation profiles
Choice of surface options (paved, gravel, all)
Route summaries in terms of distance, elevation, surfaces, ferries, pedestrian areas etc.
Overnight stops to break long journeys
Accommodation options
Route suggestions and alternatives
Loops
GPX importation
Exporting to most gps units
PDF printouts
Adding POIs
Following "official routes"
Adding personal notes to routes
There is a small library of official routes as well that are ready to be used.

And if all that wasn't enough it reliably picks interesting, safe and scenic routes.

Why use it???
"

:P

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I don't think CT gives much weight to popularity of route at all. If it did, we'd all be cycling the roads the local peleton rides.
It uses a variety of criteria to pre-prepare routes then pulls those together when we make a request.
(Subscribers have a greater choice of maps and some of those will show most or all the dedicated bike routes or paths in a region).

I believe its main criteria are for quiet roads (or dedicated bike path) then climbing (it likes to minimise it), then surface and believe it or not, scenery!

We really have very few (automatic) choices - paved, gravel, all (both) and lately night (especially for urban UK riding). There is a brand new option to follow "official" bike routes for more long distance rides. However, we can easily add viapoints to change the CT suggestions to suit ourselves. My understanding is that some category of rider don't like CT's automatic routes, preferring direct over meandering and attacking climbs as opposed to avoiding them.

There are a few quirks. For example, a desire to avoid busy roads can see us being dragged off a main road for a km or two only to rejoin it and then be directed off again. Similarly, CT can have a tendency to bypass towns (more traffic), something especially noticeable in NL.
Another quirk is that it rarely chooses to automatically follow an official bike route (although we can now tell it to do just that). That's because CT's own calculations offer a "better" experience than the planners of the routes. In my experience CT is correct.

Any online planner depends on the quality of the underlying data and sometimes that data can be dubious so we should never depend 100% on any planner. In my experience, CT does a better, more reliable job than most others.

I agree with all that (though I do find the tendency to repeatedly divert from "main" roads frustrating).

But also, the ability to use "proper" maps at least in UK and France and a few other countries (OS and IGN), is a massive plus.

Top Bottom