Cycletravel why use it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Simple answer We have one rule when going on tour book first and last days accomodation. Who wants a routine or schedule, that's for at home or work. Cycletravel and Komoot are for people who are afraid of the unknown.
Perhaps this section of the forums is dying, lots of questions but few active on tour. Is it because some think that they can't be bothered with criticism , a telling off or advice that they don't need.🥱

What actually do you want from a routing app that you're currently missing?

Your posts make it clear you're very dissatisfied with what you have but give no clue as to what you want!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The problem is Cycletravel can't even find where I am.

Really, or maybe you just need training and help in how to use it. But where’s the adventure in knowing how to use something?

1710150380883.png

Brandane

Legendary Member
I didn't realise that, despite being a very happy end user.

For those of us who enjoy the many benefits of cycle.travel, we have @Richard Fairhurst to thank.

presta

Guru
I never used anything like this because I didn't carry any tech with me, and I didn't even book accommodation in advance let alone plan routes. My route planning was partly sitting with a map the evening before, and partly whilst on the move. Quite often my destination planning was done on the move too.

Sometimes I found I'd missed something I would have liked to see (such as the plaque commemorating Mallard's speed record), but other times I stumbled across delights that I never knew existed (like Caen Hill locks).

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Simple answer We have one rule when going on tour book first and last days accomodation. Who wants a routine or schedule, that's for at home or work. Cycletravel and Komoot are for people who are afraid of the unknown.
Perhaps this section of the forums is dying, lots of questions but few active on tour. Is it because some think that they can't be bothered with criticism , a telling off or advice that they don't need.🥱

Some people need routines and schedules. Many people are afraid of the unknown. It's called being human.
Why do you need to book a first and last days accommodation? Surely a battle hardened, world renowned, expert touring cyclist like yourself can survive without the luxuries of a hotel/tent/campervan etc. Why do you even have tech with you like a GPS and mobile phone? Can't you wander the earth free of these freedom killing devices?
One last thing, cyclechat is a mostly UK populated forum. It's been winter here. Few people tour in the cold and wet weather.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I didn't used to book accommodation in advance because I didn't want the risk of losing it all if I couldn't hack the mileages I'd committed myself to in advance. That might have changed if I'd found myself sleeping in a bus shelter, but I never did. There were numerous occasions when I had to go somewhere other than where I had in mind when my choice of hostel was full, but the only times I came close to having no bed were when I was walking the South West Way, although taxis are easier with no bike if I'd ever needed one.

I had a bed in one house and breakfast in the house next door once at Braunton.

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
A picture is worth a Thousand words and everyone has a different mindset. Why tell your story to people who may go and do your tour only to be disappointed.
You may not have noticed, but those active on tour tend to post in the travelogues section. The touring section seems mostly about before we go.

There are also bad people like me who just go quiet on tour, enjoying it, and never quite write up the travelogue. Where's yours?

🚲👍

Top Bottom