Why do we shoot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
A mate of mine shoots rabbits and seems to enjoy himself. Not for me though, but then I've been shot at and it scared the shite out of me (almost literally) so I don't think I could pull the trigger on another living thing.

BigAl68

Über Member
I grew up with a family of shot gun owners and had my first gun at ten. I was always told by my bampi(grandad) that you eat what you shoot. I then became a vegetarian at 14 and a vegan a year later. I then started shooting again when I lived in Thailand and even got a gun permit to shoot at gun ranges. I love to shoot a gun to be honest but don't shoot to eat anymore even though I now eat meat. Guns are dangerous but also very exciting. This is my drunken opinion.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The 2 country estates I worked at had shoots. To be honest it was golf, cricket,cycling... Whatever you like for really posh nobbers in their 60's, with big bellies and 30yo trophy wives. They were all well oiled and handling guns which isn't cool.
Some of the guns cost £250,000 a pair, which I suppose is the same as overly expensive carbon bikes!
Anyway, came away thinking, no, knowing they were all bell ends!

As a kid I used to shoot with an air rifle on a farm in Wales. If I killed it I was made to skin it, gut it and cook it. It was a great life lesson that more kids should be made to do.

Last edited:

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
I trained to be a butcher. I worked in a slaughterhouse. I like meat and am not squeamish at all. I am a countryside man.
However I take exception to birds being bred solely to be shot for overpriced sport. Especially as other birds behaving perfectly naturally and taking advantage are killed by 'gamekeepers' to protect the living cash crop from being eaten by them, to protect the yield. That is all sorts of wrong as far as I'm concerned.
Shoot pest species, fine. Shoot to maintain numbers and overall health of the herd, fine. Breed non-native animals especially to shoot for fun, no.

Drago

Legendary Member
The main reason I shoot is to annoy Vern.

Most of my shooting is plinking at home, or target shooting at an indoor range. For me it's an absorbing stress reliever, practicing a martial skill and mastering a mechanical device. On the less frequent occasions I go shooting on my.Step Bro's local permission its the same reasons, mixed in with a bit of a change of scenery and some genuine pest control.

I'm not into shooting live targets solely for sporting purposes, such as grouse shoots etc, though I've no issue with those that choose to do so.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
What about those of use who found the other thread so much fun that they are thinking of taking it up?
then well done and i support you for considering taking it up due to the other comedy genius of a thread! :laugh:
Never understood it or wanted to do it.
I really cannot understand why people spend small fortunes to be allowed to blast a few pheasants out of the sky. I prefer chicken anyway and I have never found lead shot in one yet.
I am glad that some people do like shooting as if it were not for the fools and their money we would lose all the grouse moors and our countryside would be badly affected.
those bloody fools that spend so much money on fancy cars when they could spend much less and get a really nice bike, those damn fools that spend so much on big fancy houses, they could spend MUCH less and get a lot of very nice bikes for that money!
if they enjoy it then it doesn't make them a fool, i wouldn't spend £400 on an xbox but would spend £800 on a rifle or a bike, i enjoy the rifle or bike but not the xbox but there are many others that wouldn't know how to disassemble the rifle or shoot it but would love the xbox. neither are a fool, they just enjoy different things
but what about its family. It probably had a wife and lots of little piglets to look after. They probably starved to death as a result. Pigs are intelligent and piglets look so cuddly

View attachment 84417
nope, piglets are another animal we chuck in a livestock trailer and then in the pen. fatten up and then back in a livestock trailer on their one way journey
they sure do taste good!
I grew up with a family of shot gun owners and had my first gun at ten. I was always told by my bampi(grandad) that you eat what you shoot. I then became a vegetarian at 14 and a vegan a year later. I then started shooting again when I lived in Thailand and even got a gun permit to shoot at gun ranges. I love to shoot a gun to be honest but don't shoot to eat anymore even though I now eat meat. Guns are dangerous but also very exciting. This is my drunken opinion.
a guns not dangerous, the person holding the gun how ever can be dangerous :tongue:
the one opinion (not yours) that i really hate is ban all guns, guns are bad and evil! should we also ban my hands then? i could knock someone down to the ground and kill them with my fists if i wanted, i could do the same with a gun. or i could ride my bike or fix tractors with my hands and practice effective pest control with my gun, either could be used for good or bad depending on who's in control of them
Cheers Ed

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, guns are very dangerous pieces of machinery and should be treated with respect.

However, I understand that people are concerned by the threat to life aspect and would ban all ranged weapons of any kind to save life and limb. Fair enough, but if life saving is their motivation then perhaps they should start by campaigning to ban the motor car, which has taken more lives in the last century than guns.

stephec

Legendary Member
On the subject of comparing banning guns to banning cars, it's not the best comparison.

The car was invented as transport, the fact it can kill is only because it's poorly operated.

The gun was invented for one reason only, and serves no other purpose.

Top Bottom