Why do you cycle commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Apart from health, wealth and environment benefits flexibility is another reason I commute. I could get the train and probably do my journey 20-30 minutes faster but there's only one direct train an hour. In the morning that's fine but its jammed like sardines coming the other way and I hate having to leave in the middle of something. If I don't get that direct train I have to change which can take longer than the bike and I am still tied to a timetable.

pbkclements

Physically & Mentally has always felt good - as you say, arrive at work feeling chilled & in a better mood ... last cycle commute not so good though & I did question whether the risks (traffic) & pollution concerns made it worth it. I persevered though; would be really good if cycle commuting became mainstream, but I can see that the way things are it's not that likely - in my work throughout last summer there were perhaps 10-15 bikes on average in the works bike parking (hundreds worked on site & public transport in area was v poor) - sad reflection I think of the environment around rather than people being anti cycling.

Brooks

I used to drive a Taxi in London but had to give it up due to heart problems 5 years ago. I started walking to help improve my health then two years ago bought a 2nd hand bike. It felt tough at first but I just grew to love cycling, the bike is heavy but so what I enjoy it every time I go out.
I joined our local LCC group and we have rides every week which are very well attended.
What has amazed me is how quick you can get around town on a bike, getting the bus now feels frustratingly slow. I've been taking my time thinking what type of bike I would really like and I think a touring bike would suit me. But saying that I volunteer at a community cycle hub learning how to repair old bikes and bring them back to life. I realise I don't really need an expensive new bike, I'll make do with what I've got until I find a nice steel frame and build up my own ride.
I haven't had a car now for 5 years and in truth I don't think I'll need one in the future, cycling has done that!😀

Slick

Guru
For me it was starting a new life in a sedentary position after being at the sharp end all my life. I knew I needed some sort of physical challenge to keep me sane and cycling to work seemed like the right thing to do as I tend to be quite lazy once I get home so any plan to go to the gym would be short lived.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
For exactly all the reasons you give @rivers . However being the hardened long time commuter that I am (On an off since 1982, my current commute I'm now in my 14th year) I do battle through the crappy weather. I just can't be doing busses or trains in the rush hour for what ever reason. I would rather get cold and wet on the bike over those forms of travel to work. In the south east /London the weather is very rarely so bad that you can't ride a bike anyway.
What @ianrauk said. Bicycle commuting, even in bad weather, is infinitely preferable to buses and trains, and I've never driven a motor vehicle and don't wish to. The last time I commuted to/from work by any means other than bicycle was about 10 years ago.

I usually cite the following:
It's faster than the alternatives
It's healthier than the alternatives (physically & mentally)
It's more enjoyable/relaxing than the alternatives
It's more environmentally friendly than the alternatives
I consume less fumes than driving or bus
Causes less damage to infrastructure than driving
Causes less damage to third parties than driving
Oh, and it's cheaper than the alternatives (which means I can afford a better car)

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I found I wasn't getting much time in the evenings or weekends to get many miles in so started cycling to work with a rucksack. That has now evolved in to a specific commuter bike with pannier and dynamo lights after I found how much I enjoyed it, and how refreshed I felt at the start of the working day. I then realised there was actually plenty of time for cycling in the evenings and weekends too if you made the effort :laugh::okay:

Top Bottom