Why do you R on FN ttC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I wanted to join the FNRttC for reasons no better than the fact that Simon and several of the regular participants are posters here who I like and admire. Fast forward to 22 October 2010, and - a nasty crash the previous day having healed up nicely - theclaud was tasked with chaperoning me from Paddington to the start. There may have been a pre-ride sharpener...

To the ride itself. I thought (and still think) there's something rather magical and almost illicit about 80+ riders cruising through the middle of London, changing the road from how it is, to how we'd like it to be, if only for a fleeting moment. What I remember most is laughing like a drain so many times - the camaraderie and the sheer improbability of what we were all doing. Later memories are somewhat blurred by the vast quantity of brown beer consumed at the Waterfront, and it's a testament to how well theclaud has trained her bike that I managed to catch a train home.

Since then, I've participated in the sub-zero Brighton and Southend rides, Wetstable, and went for a slide along the tarmac at Emsworth. I also waved jazz hands on the way to Swansea, shared whisky at sunrise on the beacon, and got more lost than anyone could think to be possible between LMNH and Paddington.

The arrival of our first daughter in 2011, and now our second last November mean that opportunities for joining you are going to be even more limited than previously, but join you I shall.

^_^
Actually, I don't do them anymore...much.
It was nice riding back on a Saturday before it became popular...Brilliant Brian was the arch 'ride-backer' of the day, and he excelled himself on my first night ride (2008), taking Topcat, ARAllsopp, iLove Bikes and self back to civilization...young Andy's first ride out (despite his initial fatigue), first 100 on the way back and he's not looked back, thanks to help from Ian and Andy in particular..
It was nice having a few pints in the morning, not riding back and getting a party going; watching talented people ride bikes, talk, and have fun generally - what else is there to do - be sensible and sleep? Sometimes it is hard to win over miserable people but in general the night ride does.
Also, the bimbles to Cardiff for the night rides to Swansea are fun - I saw my first wingwalker...:wub:
Raising a few bob was good too. The Martlets stuff, blasting back from Bognor to The Cenotaph with Mike Eyre, after he rode from 'ull to London, had a few zeds and then did the night ride and return - at pace. (We descended Bury Hill very rapidly, and later, at the Hammersmith roundabout, my handlebars collapsed at low speed - I was a lucky old thing that day.) Spin-off rides with people familiar with my surliness and lack of direction - we had a lot of fun in the MacB days...and shepherding him to a 100 too - that was a real benchmark for someone inspired by the Night Rides.
Helping people along and getting dirty, using gas to fix flats, and administering cognac and cakes - there's nothing else really...apart from Simon. Plenty of wise people on night rides to keep fools like me happy, and as long as no-one does anything dangerous (like try and get a beer out of McUser, McWobble, MacB etc...(see a trend here?) ) things roll along nicely and the dawn breaks.
I've made an equal amount of friends as enemies probably, but it doesn't matter, Adrian - I'll still help you fix yer puncture...
Bamboo bikes, a Yuba Mondo, and a BSO with the front forks on the wrong way round - all human life and Davy is here!

In short - do one and share the fun.
And Simon Legg is an exceptional talent. It helps. Not for nothing is he called the architect of the Night Rides.
Finally, always trust User10571. (providing the alarm goes off)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In addition to the attraction of the FNRttC itself, I like the fact that it gives me an opportunity to do longer rides than I would otherwise do. For various reasons I don't tend to ride much more than 100 km or so at a go. But since starting to ride with the Fridays, I've found that the Saturday mornings give me a chance to push that up over 100 miles. Although I can drastically conk out on these morning rides. I remember flying, absolutely flying, along the flat lanes North of Hull on the way to my sister's place last year. And then all of a sudden being reduced to a complete crawl, struggling into a gentle zephyr as if it was a gale-force headwind.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 2895093, member: 1314"]Yebbut it has the delights of the A1306 heading towards the M25 Lakeside Service Station on a cold dark wet windy night as GIANT HGVs trundle past, inches from your ear.[/quote]
Stop being a wuss! And they are Trek HGVs rather than Giant ones.

hatler

Guru
Ooooo. Where to start. I'll have to think about this one a bit. I promise to post something here as a direct response to the OP at some point.

hatler

Guru
There's sort of two questions hiding in the OP.

Why did you ride the first one ?

Why did you carry on (if indeed you did) ?

Answering the first question probably says more about the responder than anything else.
Answering the second question is likely to reveal more about the nature of the Fridays.

Sam, Do you want both answers ?

jayonabike