Why don't women cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm still loving how many people are assuming it's a "him".
Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to meet a "her" called George:smile:.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
[QUOTE 5278733, member: 9609"]Not really,
&
I would like to see more people cycling but I would encourage everyone and not focus on either gender.[/QUOTE]
If there is an imbalance, it could suggest that there may be reasons related to gender that mean less women cycle.

If you don't take gender into account you may not be as successful in encouraging woman as you are men.

As the aim is to encourage as many people as possible it doesn't make much sense not to take it into account, IMO.

Alan O

Über Member
Just a minor observation that came to me when reading a different thread...

There's a big youth bike culture round my area these days, and I think that's good. But it's almost entirely boys, and I rarely see a girl among them. I presume it's not due to the same rational reasons that adults might or might not ride bikes, and there's clearly some sort of cultural thing - which I'm guessing is likely to translate to fewer women cyclists of the future.

U

User6179

There is no other way to find out why this is than to use gender as a basis for research

What about personality ?

Rhodes and Smith (2006) brought together and assessed 35 studies that investigated the relationship between the major personality traits (described above) and physical activity. They found that individuals who scored higher on extraversion and conscientiousness and lower on neuroticism traits were most likely to be physically active

In college and adult samples, women score higher then men on the Five Factor Model (FFM) personality traits of Neuroticism and Agreeableness.

U

User6179

That would be personality and gender then.

I am saying perhaps one of the reasons people don't cycle is because of their personality, not their biological sex.
Some woman cycle, some men don't.

U

User6179

I expect there are loads of reasons, but are you saying it's not worth trying to find out why proportionally fewer women than men are cycling?

No I am not saying it's not worth trying to find out, the more women cycling the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
the more woman the better.
Is that a Freudian slip?

swansonj

Guru
Only in certain countries though. The same cannot really be said for Germany and Holland.

Well yes, this whole thread is about the UK.

And surely, as I'm sure has been said before, that knocks on the head any lingering sense of "well women just don't cycle as much", and justifies the desire to find out why, specifically, UK women don't cycle as much.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
[QUOTE 5279294, member: 9609"]Solution is to simply make the roads a nicer more pleasant and safer place to be, and if we could achieve this then many more people from both sexes would cycle - but the numbers do not need to be equal.
[/QUOTE]
You arent saying its not a factor, just that you dont think an inbalance is a problem, would that be correct?

For me, such a large imbalance, is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom