Why don't women cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
the school run is not conducive to cycling (kudos to those who manage it)

I don't quite get this school run business. When I was a kid, there was really no such thing as the school run. When we were really small we got walked to and from primary school by parents. Once we were old enough to find our way to and from school without getting lost, we walked to and from school by ourselves. Then, when old enough to go to secondary school, we either walked, cycled, or got the bus - depending on how close the school was, what the weather was like etc. I lived 4 miles from secondary school and went by bus most days, although I would ride my bike sometimes if the weather was nice and I didn't have any heavy stuff to take. Today's parents seem to have morphed into some sort of on-call child taxi service!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I don't quite get this school run business. When I was a kid, there was really no such thing as the school run. When we were really small we got walked to and from primary school by parents. Once we were old enough to find our way to and from school without getting lost, we walked to and from school by ourselves. Then, when old enough to go to secondary school, we either walked, cycled, or got the bus - depending on how close the school was, what the weather was like etc. I lived 4 miles from secondary school and went by bus most days, although I would ride my bike sometimes if the weather was nice and I didn't have any heavy stuff to take. Today's parents seem to have morphed into some sort of on-call child taxi service!
the school run business could be another thread in itself... it certainly wasn't a thing when i was at school either.

Julia9054

Guru
When we were really small we got walked to and from primary school by parents
Which is fine if you have one parent who doesn't have to go out to work
The difference is that now mothers work for a living as families mainly require two incomes to afford the high cost of housing. If your child is too young to walk to school by itself (which mine did as soon as they were old enough), how do they get to school if you then have to go straight on to your job. That is why the school run is now a thing.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Children & Parents exercising on their way to school is a wonderful thing to see.

The same cannot be said of the School Brum Brum.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Which is fine if you have one parent who doesn't have to go out to work
The difference is that now mothers work for a living as families mainly require two incomes.

It's always been much the same in working class households. The stay at home mum phenomena has always been the preserve of the middle class (and the top echelon, highly skilled, working class) household. I grew up on a council estate and most of the women still had jobs back then. The difference is they generally worked part-time during school hours or later on in the evening when the kids and the old man were all back home. What they didn't do was dump the kids in expensive day nurseries and then work full-time to try to earn enough to pay for the nursery fees that they wouldn't need in the first place if they didn't work such long hours. Childcare, where needed, was mostly done informally by friends & neighbours - who kept an eye on kids until their parents returned.
To get back to the cycling bit, quite a lot of men still rode bikes to work if they were within reasonable distance. Women generally didn't cycle for work or leisure back then either, at least not the ones with families. My mum was a cyclist when she was young, but largely gave it up when I was born. She had a 1949 Hercules Sports bike from new, which my dad eventually managed to get nicked from outside a pub. She was absolutely furious, and gave him a massive bollocking for losing it, but she never replaced it with another bike.

What they didn't do was dump the kids in expensive day nurseries and then work full-time to try to earn enough to pay for the nursery fees that they wouldn't need in the first place if they didn't work such long hours.
What a bunch of sanctimonious sexist twaddle. Why don't you just hop on your skipbike back to the 50s?

What a rubbish survey!
What would I give up for cycling - well, footie/World Cup, naturally, as I take no interest in it at all. That gives no indication whatsoever of how much I value cycling.
And how is 'Exercise/fitness' different from 'Health'?
etc
I hadn't clicked the before.:wacko:

Did they bother proof reading it? The answers are in alphabetical order, so "None of the above" is right in the middle of the list. Also "My partner/family" in the same list "Your job"

Well yes, I'd quite happily give up your job for cycling.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5282462, member: 10119"]What a bunch of sanctimonious sexist twaddle. Why don't you just hop on your skipbike back to the 50s?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he can answer for himself but that's a rather naughty bit of selective quoting to get the sexist dig in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom