Why don't you post on Society, Culture & Politics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
"Mod of the day", with your avatar and the "Mod of the day" alongside?

:smile:

mod-shoes-mod-revival-scooter-mods.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Some, not all of the posters in sc&p are lifetime experts, or dedicated to their beliefs through education and lifestyle
Yeah, I remember the "should Muslim women wear the veil", such an array of first hand experience by the (mainly) male posters! The "immigration" thread too: obviously, the posters that are actually immigrants to the UK don't know half of it, let the learned enlighten them with their experience. :rolleyes:
If it's so frustrating and boring, why not give it up?
@SatNavSaysStraightOn never said the whole of CC is giving her grief.:okay:
This is all in your head. I didn't say what you suggest in your last sentence because that isn't what I meant. What I wrote was not at all rude, or an attack on anyone.
You did say it, even if you did not mean it. It came across as rude.
"this is all in your head" is rude too, and dismissive.
Who is being rude to whom around here anyway?
You many times to a few @User all the time to everybody - no discrimination there ^_^

To the point that a handful of people now I can't bring myself to like any of their posts even if it is a sensible one not in SC&P.
I have been tempted, did not succumb :angel:
Whereas I know for a fact that some people only post in Tea and Three Word Game
Have you got prof of that? :whistle:
Anyhow, the above is not against CC rules.
What @anothersam tried to do with this OP rather is against the rules.
We got 'nother clever one there :laugh:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I suspect if Shaun removed anyone who's cycling contribution to CycleChat is 10% or less of their posts (low benchmark I know) then most of the problems people have expressed about SC&P would also disapper overnight.
So would most of the café....

(And especially the "tea" thread.

srw

It is like I said. I don't go into SC&P voluntarily, neither do most of the moderators. It is not something I like to do and I don't like the content or the constant bickering/rudeness that is in there. I don't need to go there and I don't have to.
Like @swansonj I'm also gob-smacked by the 95% stat. From where I'm sitting, the Commuting board, and even café at times, are considerably more bad-tempered than SCP, and the "obvious" moderator interventions (deletions, thread locks) seem reasonably well spread across the forums.

And, for what it's worth, although I love the content I loathe the bickering and rudeness. And I recognise that an "outsider" might see cliques, although as an "insider" they're much less rigid than anyone might think.

srw

The fascination it seems to exert is interesting.

No one is popping up to say "Why Don't You Post in Know How?" or "Why Aren't Your Musings on the Grapefruitiness of Hops in the Beer Thread?"
Because Society, Culture and Politics are all-pervasive and affect every one of us in everything we do, while cycling and drinking beer are important but not the be-all and end-all of life?

srw

Entirely unrelated but kind of appropriate in an abstract nuanced sort of way, i dreamt i was about to be eaten by a dinosaur last night:ohmy::ph34r:
You forgot to start the sentence with "So".

Dan B

Disengaged member
You forgot to start the sentence with "So".
Hey, I just had a great idea for a drinking game

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
So would most of the café....

(And especially the "tea" thread.
Why?

I think the Cafe is visible and attracts people who haven't joined yet to do so when they see the friendly banter going on from the start.
It's not a hidden aspect of the site at the beginning, hidden for fear of frightening more casual or gentle humoured souls off.

Perhaps there is a mistake made in labelling a section of the site SC&P and having it therefore commanding a 'separate identity' to the rest of CC. If all non-cycling threads lived and died in the Cafe, as the rest of the Cafe content does, through the communtiy interest, contributions or its playfulness, then coexisting could be less tribal.

Gratuitous smiley... ^_^

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
It's a place for demonstrating one's impeccable PC credentials. The funniest riposte is the standard: "Where's your study to prove what you've just claimed?" .....as if anybody carries out a formal study on any of the twaddle that people talk on web fora, which are, after all, merely virtual pubs. It does give you an insight into the bitchiness and egotism of the academic world.
Your last comment struck a chord with me.

I have a buddy who is very learned, holds a very responsible position within one of the UK's national institutions. He is a great guy, very witty and surprisingly rude...he has a little autism in the family and blames this on his ability to organise!. To me, he is made, with a job for life. However, the more we talk about his work the more it becomes apparent that peer pressure is far more of a threat to him than than anything his employer could do. Its constant.

His conclusion is that his peers were all bullied at school for being "different" and as they have built a mechanism to defend against ridicule, have become defensive\offensive

Personally, I think that very intelligent (like Turing/einstein/feynman..typa clever) people are often just wired differently , so as to become a little sheldon-esque.

Sometimes

Last edited:

srw

If you want the serious reply - about 40% of all the forum's posts are in the café. Which means, statistically, that many people must spend more time in the café than elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom