Why have the BBC not bought the new spitting image

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
The way things are in Westminster at the moment, maybe the BBC thought that the series couldn't be any funnier than the real life thing:whistle:

Imagine 30 years ago the original had made Trump and Boris puppets and then simply acted to a genuine voice over of whatever they had been saying that week.

It would never have made a second series as it would have been too unbelievable and not even funny.

The only advantage is in 30 years time our grandchildren will look back at the 2020's in awe and wonder just how stupid and gullible their grandparents must have been at the time.
Much like children of the 1970's could not understand how Hitler managed to get elected with a massive majority (that unlike the US elections did not involve vote rigging)

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed. Voting the warmonger Blair into number 10 will not be looked upon kindly by the history books. Sadly, Spitting Image wasn't about during his reign as that would have made for some delightful parody.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I just watched the Greta Thunberg sketch as it's going round autistic twitter. It's dire. Absolutely awful. I don't really mind that they're using her, I think she's enough of a public figure and has publicised herself enough for that to be fair and at seventeen she's young but not a child. I don't mind that she's autistic, I don't think that's the target of the sketch. But it's just terrible. Lazy, boring unfunny writing, poor delivery and I don't see any real satirical point behind it, it does seem a bit personal.

I read an interview with one of the creators (?writer, producer) when there was a bit of controversy about including Thunberg, and they said they were doing a simple joke with her as a weathergirl. That would have been better, could have been funnier and might even have been able to make some good points about climate change. But this was dross. IMO.

Top Bottom