Why is cycle navigation so complicated?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I've just had a thought in respect to navigating home on a Garmin 530 or similarly functioning unit. If you have a saved course starting from home, how about loading it and selecting "Navigate to start of course"? Similarly, if you have other possible destinations or waypoints, you could save short (c.100 yards?) courses starting from the destination/waypoint that you want to navigate to. I have never used the navigate to start of course function so I don't know how good it is.

It would be easier to save your home as a 'saved location' and then select that the destination to route too, it will then do dynamic routing. You can also pan and zoom on the map and select a location to route to.
The 830 and above allows you to route to post code and POI, which is quite a bit easier.

freiston

Veteran
It would be easier to save your home as a 'saved location' and then select that the destination to route too, it will then do dynamic routing. You can also pan and zoom on the map and select a location to route to.
The 830 and above allows you to route to post code and POI, which is quite a bit easier.

Yes, I examined the functions briefly when I got the unit (only this summer) but quickly forgot them as I defaulted to loading routes planned on the PC for those rare occasions that I don't know the way or the area well enough for a ride. I'm glad of this thread not least because good people like yourself have reminded and re-educated me as to what it does and how to use it. It's very easy (well it is for me) to fall into a habit, using it in a very limited way, neglecting and forgetting just how versatile and capable it is. Embarrassingly, I decided (at least in part) on getting the 530 for the very features that I forgot it has. I've yet to use it for a multi-day trip but it is good to know that I can make last-minute changes to plans & routes and be able to get directions without having to use my phone (as long as I can locate the destination on the map or I have it saved as a location) - which, I suppose is what the OP wants.

Mike_P

Guru
Press the bottom right hand side button to clear the sensor error - since firmware 9.1 I have to do it 5 or 6 times a ride. Feel free to moan on the Garmin forums about it too.

I'll give it a try; sure I have tried that before without success. I am aware of the issue having been raised on Garmin forums but the same error arises with my Bolt so it seems to me to more a Varia issue.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I'll give it a try; sure I have tried that before without success. I am aware of the issue having been raised on Garmin forums but the same error arises with my Bolt so it seems to me to more a Varia issue.

It seems to be because the radar gets overloaded by something. A lot of people think that it is front facing radars on cars, however I am pretty sure it happens to me without cars being around.

Solocle

Über Member
Different forms of navigation for different rides.

I have an Elemnt Roam.

Last big ride I did - Roam logging data only. I used the map to verify following my nose around Popham, but otherwise, just followed the A30 to London. Once in London, follow the Roman Road in a straight line. :becool:
1665416837882.png

LEJOG navigation:
Elemnt Roam setup with pre-planned route.
C651F9D6-7F6B-405B-9368-367FFF2530CB.jpeg

Backup paper maps.
1665416896086.png

Mike_P

Guru
It seems to be because the radar gets overloaded by something. A lot of people think that it is front facing radars on cars, however I am pretty sure it happens to me without cars being around.
The location it always happens for me is after turning right off an A road at a crossroads. Initially I thought it was getting confused by traffic going from one side to another on the A road but then it did it when there was no traffic so I am thinking it's something at one of the houses alongside.

Jameshow

Veteran
Different forms of navigation for different rides.

I have an Elemnt Roam.

Last big ride I did - Roam logging data only. I used the map to verify following my nose around Popham, but otherwise, just followed the A30 to London. Once in London, follow the Roman Road in a straight line. :becool:
View attachment 664072
LEJOG navigation:
Elemnt Roam setup with pre-planned route.
View attachment 664074
Backup paper maps.
View attachment 664073

How do you find those os road maps?

Not seen them before.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The location it always happens for me is after turning right off an A road at a crossroads. Initially I thought it was getting confused by traffic going from one side to another on the A road but then it did it when there was no traffic so I am thinking it's something at one of the houses alongside.

More OT-ness. I get a Varia sensor error every time I ride up Anerley Hill, past Crystal Palace station.
1665416144623.png

I don't have any problem clearing the error message from the screen though. I just press the back button or whatever it's called (on the side, lower right).

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Sorry, I flew out on holiday to Sorrento today so can’t responds as much as I’d like.
I just want to be able to navigate back home (or to any point) and from any point, whilst avoiding main roads/A roads and avoiding off road routes.
I don’t want to create or follow pre set routes, I want to explore with the peace of mind of a get home option should I get lost.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry, I flew out on holiday to Sorrento today so can’t responds as much as I’d like.
I just want to be able to navigate back home (or to any point) and from any point, whilst avoiding main roads/A roads and avoiding off road routes.
I don’t want to create or follow pre set routes, I want to explore with the peace of mind of a get home option should I get lost.

Then you should be quite happy. There are tons of ways of doing this that have been described above.

Yes, I examined the functions briefly when I got the unit (only this summer) but quickly forgot them

Just on this ......
Sometimes we forget and sometimes updates change (and hopefully) improve things too.
The elevation information display on my unit, for example, has improved significantly in the past 12 months.
(I know, I know sometimes updates can really mess things up^_^)

avoiding off road routes.
As an example of the pitfalls of a one-unit-for-all can you elaborate on what you mean by off road?
Is a bike path beside a road considered off road?
What about a solid surfaced rail trail?
A canal path?
Or do you mean gravel, rocks and the random wild animal?

Sorry, I flew out on holiday
Jeez! I hope you can find your way home!

Nice of you to start a thread though, with no intention of seeing it out. :becool:

Alex321

Veteran

As has been pointed out several times already in this thread, virtually all GPS cycle computers have a simple "take me home" or "back to start" function. How well those handle your road preferences depend on the specific device and what preferences you have set.

Given he was apologising for not responding as much as he'd like, and is still responding I think that is a bit harsh.
???

Didn't you post this earlier?
They only make your point because you have already decided that is the case.

It's an interesting topic and one where people have shared and learned things.

Starting a thread without the ability/inclination to follow and contribute is rude in my opinion.

Top Bottom