Why is it important to stretch or warm down after cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Stretching and warming down are two very different things.

Stretching can be useful after cycling because you tend to hold a very fixed position, and can have quite an achy back, neck and shoulders after a ride. Stretching when you are warm (after exertion) is fine and useful.........don't do it beforehand, though.

Warming down is just a gentle movement to help take lactic acid away from your muscles, to reduce the amount of stiffness you feel in them the following day. Hop off your bike and walk around the garden a couple of times. Don't anticipate marvelous results from any warm-down regime.

Tin Pot

Guru
Ha ha!

I was actually pretty surprised at the outcome - I wasn't even rolling that vigorously! It felt like it was doing me some good so I would have used it regularly but the bruising put me off.

Anyway - I just wanted to warn others who bruise easily that there could be problems with rollers.

That’s impossible!

Kneel at the altar of Myofascial Release and receive thy blessing.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Hi.
Please excuse my ignorance on this ,but why is it important to warm down and stretch after a decent ride out. I've been doing some longish rides of late and usually when I get back home I tend to just collapse on the sofa to recover :-) :-). I have noticed though of late that my joints don't feel as flexible as they once where ,or probably a better way of describing it, my muscles feel too tight and inflexible .Would I be right in thinking this is down to not warming down or taking time out ,to stretch after a decent ride out. It's hard to explain but I feel that I've gained some extra muscle build in my legs ,but its not very flexible.
Many thanks for reading and advice given cycling buddies :-)
Cycled over 7,000 miles and not done a single stretch. Not that I'm endorsing that though ^_^

pawl

Legendary Member
Ha ha!

I was actually pretty surprised at the outcome - I wasn't even rolling that vigorously! It felt like it was doing me some good so I would have used it regularly but the bruising put me off.

Anyway - I just wanted to warn others who bruise easily that there could be problems with rollers.

How hard in terms of foam density of these rollers.They do seem to be recommended by pysios.

DanZac

In my personal opinion foam rolling works wonders as does post exercise stretching. I think that with cycling I tend to naturally ease off as I get close to home (Not that I'm fast anyway) so could get away without a full stretch off, coming in from a run though is a different matter.
I find a good stretch post exercise followed by the foam roller (or tennis ball depending on what I'm trying to free up) in the evening if I start to feel stiff or sore works a treat.
Be warned though on tight stiff muscles it hurts like a hurty thing the first few times as you start to work all the knots out of your muscles.
Best thing since sliced bread once you get used to it though and well worth using.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Brilliant advice and comments given :-) :-) :-)

mgs315

I must admit I don’t stretch often after a ride but I do after my gym or spin sessions on the bike (always warm down). I’ve gone from only just being able to touch my ankles to almost flat hands on the floor, plus I’ve almost slammed my stem (with the added benefit of an extra mph or so) so it’s working I guess..

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
First few times out in the season I stretch before riding and after, using a set of cycling specific stretches found in a book on the subject of stretching, different stretches for mountain biking and road cycling. Stretching, by Bob and Jean Anderson. Seems yoga based. Highly recommended.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I must admit I don’t stretch often after a ride but I do after my gym or spin sessions on the bike (always warm down). I’ve gone from only just being able to touch my ankles to almost flat hands on the floor, plus I’ve almost slammed my stem (with the added benefit of an extra mph or so) so it’s working I guess..

Either that, or your legs are getting shorter.

Top Bottom