Why is it important to stretch or warm down after cycling.

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by johnnyb47, 4 Feb 2018.

1. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

Stretching and warming down are two very different things.

Stretching can be useful after cycling because you tend to hold a very fixed position, and can have quite an achy back, neck and shoulders after a ride. Stretching when you are warm (after exertion) is fine and useful.........don't do it beforehand, though.

Warming down is just a gentle movement to help take lactic acid away from your muscles, to reduce the amount of stiffness you feel in them the following day. Hop off your bike and walk around the garden a couple of times. Don't anticipate marvelous results from any warm-down regime.

johnnyb47 likes this.
  2. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

That’s impossible!

Kneel at the altar of Myofascial Release and receive thy blessing.

3. Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels Lycra king

Cycled over 7,000 miles and not done a single stretch. Not that I'm endorsing that though ^_^

4. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Super tight muscles don't affect my cycling...just everything else

5. pawl

pawl Veteran

How hard in terms of foam density of these rollers.They do seem to be recommended by pysios.

6. ColinJ

ColinJ A big clot!

The one I got was very firm. In fact, it isn't 'foam' as I understand the term, but a very stiff polystyrene type of material.

7. DanZac

DanZac Senior Member

In my personal opinion foam rolling works wonders as does post exercise stretching. I think that with cycling I tend to naturally ease off as I get close to home (Not that I'm fast anyway) so could get away without a full stretch off, coming in from a run though is a different matter.
    I find a good stretch post exercise followed by the foam roller (or tennis ball depending on what I'm trying to free up) in the evening if I start to feel stiff or sore works a treat.
    Be warned though on tight stiff muscles it hurts like a hurty thing the first few times as you start to work all the knots out of your muscles.
    Best thing since sliced bread once you get used to it though and well worth using.

8. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

It is not important to stretch after cycling. But it is always nicer to retain flexibility rather than lose it.

Alan O and Dogtrousers like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    johnnyb47

johnnyb47 Über Member

Brilliant advice and comments given :-) :-) :-)

10. Likw what? Your sex life? :biggrin:

11. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Err no :rolleyes:

12. mgs315

mgs315 Well-Known Member

I must admit I don’t stretch often after a ride but I do after my gym or spin sessions on the bike (always warm down). I’ve gone from only just being able to touch my ankles to almost flat hands on the floor, plus I’ve almost slammed my stem (with the added benefit of an extra mph or so) so it’s working I guess..

Gravity Aided likes this.
  13. First few times out in the season I stretch before riding and after, using a set of cycling specific stretches found in a book on the subject of stretching, different stretches for mountain biking and road cycling. Stretching, by Bob and Jean Anderson. Seems yoga based. Highly recommended.

14. DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

Either that, or your legs are getting shorter.

Dogtrousers and mgs315 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice