1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it.....

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Mister Paul, 6 Jan 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

...you determine to commute the whole week by bike as a start to your 2008 resolutions, spend a while getting your bike gear out to save the rush in the morning, carefully fold your work clothes and slide them into your panniers, check your tyres/chain/etc, then just as you sit down you start to get that feeling at the back of your nose, tingly legs, thick throat that signals the onset of one of those heavy colds?

2. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

the law of sod my friend.

3. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

4. Ooops sorry.I just got a chest infection about a month ago and although it was a struggle I got through it.

5. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

If you had been out on your sunday bike getting a bit of fresh air and exercise today, then you would never have caught the lurgy;)

6. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Tip - don't take prescription drugs unless you really need them. Over time, prescription drugs gradually lower the strength of your body's natural immune system, 'cos if you take drugs for something the drugs can fight it instead of your body having to build up antibodies to fight it itself. There's folk who'll run to the doctors for antibiotics at the merest sniffle or chesty cough. Don't be one of them.

7. yenrod

yenrod Guest

2nd'd ! :evil:

8. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Eh?

Not taking antibiotics for a viral infection is correct, but I've never heard about prescription drugs lowering the strength of the immune system. Any references for that one Bonj? :biggrin:

9. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Mister Paul,

I know how you feel. In my case it is my damned finger. I' am becoming so obsessed with everyone else being a big jessie that I am becoming one myself. I need some professional help. Big Jessies Anonymous?:biggrin:

10. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

God just hates you...:biggrin:

11. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Well, I'm no doctor, (and if I was, I'd be a doctor of archaeology, so not much help), but I've always based my policy of not taking pills (paracetamol, that sort of thing) unless I really have to on a vague theory that I'll stop 'feeling the benefit' so to speak. On the same principle that the more you drink on a regular basis, the more it takes to get you drunk...

Perhaps its not so much that anitbiotics lower immunity, but that they are too often taken early, in situations where the body might well deal with it perfectly well, if given the chance - not quite the same thing, but....

12. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

Antibiotics do not lower immunity. Such claims are absolute crap!

Bugs may develop a resistance to the antibiotics over time, which is why antibiotics remain as prescription drugs in the UK and doctors have actively reduced their usage over the last few decades. The biggest problem is that people are given a course of antibiotics and tend to stop taking the tablets once they begin to feel better, rather than completing the course. This makes it easier for resistance to develop.

13. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

They still give them out far too easily IMO. I remember being quite shocked at how easily people got antibiotics here, even for the most minor ailments.

14. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I quite agree that antibiotics are doled out far too often. (Not in my case honest!!) but I think bonj is up to his old tricks again.

Taking the science out of pseudoscience!

15. abchandler

abchandler Senior Member

I just want to meet Big Jessie. I don't care if she knows who i am or not