Why is it.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the law of sod my friend.

bonj2

Tip - don't take prescription drugs unless you really need them. Over time, prescription drugs gradually lower the strength of your body's natural immune system, 'cos if you take drugs for something the drugs can fight it instead of your body having to build up antibodies to fight it itself. There's folk who'll run to the doctors for antibiotics at the merest sniffle or chesty cough. Don't be one of them.

yenrod

bonj said:
Tip - don't take prescription drugs unless you really need them. Over time, prescription drugs gradually lower the strength of your body's natural immune system, 'cos if you take drugs for something the drugs can fight it instead of your body having to build up antibodies to fight it itself. There's folk who'll run to the doctors for antibiotics at the merest sniffle or chesty cough. Don't be one of them.

2nd'd ! :evil:

bonj said:

Eh?

Not taking antibiotics for a viral infection is correct, but I've never heard about prescription drugs lowering the strength of the immune system. Any references for that one Bonj? :biggrin:

User,

I know how you feel. In my case it is my damned finger. I' am becoming so obsessed with everyone else being a big jessie that I am becoming one myself. I need some professional help. Big Jessies Anonymous?:biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
...you determine to commute the whole week by bike as a start to your 2008 resolutions, spend a while getting your bike gear out to save the rush in the morning, carefully fold your work clothes and slide them into your panniers, check your tyres/chain/etc, then just as you sit down you start to get that feeling at the back of your nose, tingly legs, thick throat that signals the onset of one of those heavy colds?
God just hates you...:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
Eh?

Not taking antibiotics for a viral infection is correct, but I've never heard about prescription drugs lowering the strength of the immune system. Any references for that one Bonj? :biggrin:

Well, I'm no doctor, (and if I was, I'd be a doctor of archaeology, so not much help), but I've always based my policy of not taking pills (paracetamol, that sort of thing) unless I really have to on a vague theory that I'll stop 'feeling the benefit' so to speak. On the same principle that the more you drink on a regular basis, the more it takes to get you drunk...

Perhaps its not so much that anitbiotics lower immunity, but that they are too often taken early, in situations where the body might well deal with it perfectly well, if given the chance - not quite the same thing, but....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
They still give them out far too easily IMO. I remember being quite shocked at how easily people got antibiotics here, even for the most minor ailments.

I quite agree that antibiotics are doled out far too often. (Not in my case honest!!) but I think bonj is up to his old tricks again.

Taking the science out of pseudoscience!

Keith Oates

Janner
I also agree with the no drugs/medication faction, I try to only take them as a last resort, in the opinion that when you do they will be more affective!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom