Why is my cadence so high ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
amnesia said:
Any thoughts ? Is it just a question of getting fitter / stronger legs to push higher gearing ?

You've probably just got very small leg muscles v other people like I have which means you spin very medium gears fast.

colinr

I would then ride a 52/15 or a 52/13 depending on the ride-out
Cripes, that's a lot of gear inches there! :evil:

GrasB

Veteran
TheCyclingRooster said:
With an excessively high cadence you are in over-pedalling mode and will lose power and speed and the legs become fatigued.
Rather annoyingly the rpm range where I can produce the most power is an rpm range where I quick develop fatigue. Hence why I've been pushing my rpm on commutes to try & allow me to ride for longer in that zone.

Shaun

Founder
I'm a spinner. I can't grind along in big gears - it just feels wrong and a whole lot of effort. :tongue:

OP
OP
amnesia

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
marinyork said:
You've probably just got very small leg muscles v other people like I have which means you spin very medium gears fast.

Hmmm I wouldn't say they were that small (just under-used for the last few years).

Maybe I will do a poll of calf sizes... :laugh:

jimboalee

amnesia said:
OK cool - so it looks like I might be normal-ish.

Quite happy spinning and maintaining 18-20mph on the flat so spinning to increase speed isn't the issue. It's just comfortable for me. Spinning on hills is certainly preferable to getting out of the saddle and grinding...

Will keep an eye on it and maybe get a computer with cadence (would like a wireless one anyway) - see if it comes down as I get fitter.

Cheers !

Daniel.

When you arrive at a stretch of road where on the OS map, there is a little black chevron pointing in the opposite direction to the direction you are travelling, it means there is a hill anywhere between 14% and 20% you are about to climb.

You will want to climb this hill without stopping, because all the other riders will and you don’t want to look a nancy on you Limited Edition Chris Boardman shiney road bike.

The speed up these gradients can get as low as 4 mph. What gear will you need to travel forward at 4 mph while spinning the cranks at 100 rpm?

13”.

Where abouts on your bike will you find such a gear? 18 ring, 36 sprocket???

If you pack a 22 ring, the cadence at 4 mph is 84 rpm. Near your lower limit???

That carbon Boardman. Compact 34 ring? 25 sprocket? 36”…..

4 mph on 36” is 38 rpm.

I suggest you do some leg work in the gym. Or buy some shoes that are comfortable to walk in, and a paper bag to put over your face. :laugh:

OP
OP
amnesia

amnesia

We haven't got real hills in Bournemouth - certainly none that give me any trouble on my commute :laugh:

Even the steepest/longest in town I can manage 8mph without getting out of the saddle.

Norry1

Legendary Member
This is the main thing I've learned since I started cycling a bit seriously this year - i.e to spin at easier gears than I used to. I always thought the right thing was to push a hard gear. I now have cadence on my Garmin, and average about 80 which is a lot more than I used to do. I should probably try and up that a bit higher as well.

My knees have stopped aching - although maybe that is me just getting used to riding.

Martin

GrasB

Veteran
amnesia, that's fine until you ride somewhere else that has 15-20% inclines & you suddenly find you can't cope. I make a point of doing the steepest & longest climbs on my fixed gear when I commute on it just so I'm forced to work on my low rpm power. The result is a short section of 15% can be tacked on a 66" gear at around 35-40rpm if I want (not that I'd call doing that easy)

jimboalee

Norry1 said:
This is the main thing I've learned since I started cycling a bit seriously this year - i.e to spin at easier gears than I used to. I always thought the right thing was to push a hard gear. I now have cadence on my Garmin, and average about 80 which is a lot more than I used to do. I should probably try and up that a bit higher as well.

My knees have stopped aching - although maybe that is me just getting used to riding.

Martin

Maybe we could meet at the Island where Bridge End meets the Banbury Rd.
We could take a ride to Edge Hill and tackle Sun Rising Lane.

You could meet me outside the JLR Gaydon Gate. Maybe a couple of the Kenilworth Wheelers lads will be going up there on a training ride.

jimboalee

GrasB said:
amnesia, that's fine until you ride somewhere else that has 15-20% inclines & you suddenly find you can't cope. I make a point of doing the steepest & longest climbs on my fixed gear when I commute on it just so I'm forced to work on my low rpm power. The result is a short section of 15% can be tacked on a 66" gear at around 35-40rpm if I want (not that I'd call doing that easy)

As long as OP can keep up 12.5 mph up a 5% in 50/12 for half an hour, he shouldn't have many problems with a 14% in 36".

OP
OP
amnesia

amnesia

GrasB said:

I understand...

I need to get back to something resembling "fit" before I attempt anything mad ;)

fungusmctavish

I'm one of those who doesn't feel comfortable spinning to much especially when not going up hill. I like to feel a certain amount of resistance under my foot as I pedal. If I go up a gear and spin faster my speed drops compared to my lower gear / slower cadence. My legs just can't spin fast enough to maintain or go faster.

Going uphill however I was told by a friend to get onto the easier gears early in the climb and spin into it rather than work my gears as I go. A tactic also advised in many cycling mags. It does work and work well. However I found that when I was with friends much stronger than me I got dropped very quickly. When I then tried changing gear back down my legs weren't able to respond as they had got used to ridding in a certain way.

As a result Ive changed back to working my way through the gears and getting up out of the saddle for that extra kick when I need it and my hill climbing has improved as my leg muscles have adapted and strengthened.

Cycling + had an article about it not long ago and the saying they used was "use it or lose" it in relation to getting your legs accustomed to developing and using your fast twitch muscle fibes.

I suppose it depends whether you want to be a Sastre spinning up hill at a good steady rate or a Contador bobbing his way up out of the saddle and off into the distance

jimboalee

Watch the tour.

They will riding up the 7% hills at about 10mph.

Some will be on the small ring and some will be on the big ring.

39 x 19 is 55" and 62 rpm. 53 x 21 is 68" and 50 rpm.

Who will be spinning at 80 rpm on 39 x 25 ( 42" )?

On my SWorks, a sustained 7% will be at 7.5mph using 39 x 19 ( 46 rpm ).
Its only 250 Watts BTW, 100 Watts less than the pros:biggrin:

Top Bottom