Why is my chain rusty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I strip the the bike down every weekend at the moment.
Wheels off and cleaned and re inflated.
Both chain rings off, cleaned frame washed down and re polished, brakes off and thoroughly cleaned.

I use the Park Tool for cleaning the chain, at the moment, every other week as the weather has been so bad. Re lube with oil that has to be left for an hour.
Chain had been getting rusty, but this method seems okay for me at the moment, but I do 600 miles a month, I don't expect the chain to last more than 12 months anymore....

Gear mechs cleaned each week etc. So the whole bikes looks like new come Monday morning. Takes me around 2 hours.

Worth it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
kevin_cambs_uk said:
I strip the the bike down every weekend at the moment.
Wheels off and cleaned and re inflated.
Both chain rings off, cleaned frame washed down and re polished, brakes off and thoroughly cleaned.

I use the Park Tool for cleaning the chain, at the moment, every other week as the weather has been so bad. Re lube with oil that has to be left for an hour.
Chain had been getting rusty, but this method seems okay for me at the moment, but I do 600 miles a month, I don't expect the chain to last more than 12 months anymore....

Gear mechs cleaned each week etc. So the whole bikes looks like new come Monday morning. Takes me around 2 hours.

Worth it.

Or you could do something interesting...:laugh:

Fab Foodie

kevin_cambs_uk said:
LOL !

I love my bike !
Can't ride a dirty one !

Me too.
But removing chainrings, brakes, deflating and re-inflating wheels might be considered a touch obsessive.
My bike usually shines too, but I don't have to remove anything (OK, the front wheel on occasions) to keep it really shiny and new looking.
An hour max, quick rinse down with soapy water, shake, attack all parts with baby wipes untill clean. Mickle method the chain. If I'm feeling really fastidious I'll give a quick spray allround with Mr Sheen and we're good to go.

What's the point in getting sober, when you're gonna get drunk again?

Fab Foodie

kevin_cambs_uk said:
Funny I don't find 2 hours excessive.
Time well spent for me !

You should see me clean the car !

No thanks, I'd rather be doing something else thanks... like rearranging my toothpick collection :laugh:

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

Thanks for all the responses. I have searched the other threads and have decided I will give the mickle method a try (with the use of some baby wipes). If it all goes wrong then I will hunt you all down! ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Mickle method does work....
Remember also that this time of year the amount of crap that get's in the chain is horrendous, the salt on the roads is a blighter. Come the dry (er) season and your chain will stay clean (er) and shed the rust. Baby wipes rule....

Anthony said:
Thanks for all the responses. I have searched the other threads and have decided I will give the mickle method a try (with the use of some baby wipes). If it all goes wrong then I will hunt you all down! :laugh:

The Jayler

kevin_cambs_uk said:
Funny I don't find 2 hours excessive.
Time well spent for me !

You should see me clean the car !

I'm impressed with you signature acomplishment. Well done thats a fair whack of weight lost. What i am concerned about is that what you lost is not from riding, but cleaning. Your house must be imaculate.

jimboalee

Treated my commute bike to a new chain.

After 18 years, I thought it a nice birthday pressie.

The original chain ( the one eighteen years old ) was just on the 'worn limit'.

My commute bike is a Halfords Apollo County gents with a chainguard.

Replacement chain was £8.99, with a split link!

The Jayler said:
I'm impressed with you signature acomplishment. Well done thats a fair whack of weight lost. What i am concerned about is that what you lost is not from riding, but cleaning. Your house must be imaculate.

LOL

lets just say the wife does not do the housework !

potsy

Rambler
I've just put a new chain on the hybrid,seems a shame to ride it now it might get dirty:biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
In the winter you can't have too much lube IMO.

Quite right!

Need to keep the road dirt and salt off the transmission, and loads of water repelling lube is the way to go. Washing it off with degreaser any time before May is just a waste of protection.

earth

jimboalee said:
Treated my commute bike to a new chain.

After 18 years, I thought it a nice birthday pressie.

The original chain ( the one eighteen years old ) was just on the 'worn limit'.

My commute bike is a Halfords Apollo County gents with a chainguard.

Replacement chain was £8.99, with a split link!

How did you achieve it? Was it the chain guard or good cleaning?

My last chain was a really expensive KMC that I got because I wanted to try the best one they did. But it only lasted about 6 months before it had reached the stretch limit. I think I made the mistake of degreasing it too often. Taking it off and soaking it in degreaser or using a cleaning tool. Now I use the Mickle method.

Top Bottom