Why is my chain rusty?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anthony

Hi guys,

I bought a new 9-speed shimano chain for my galaxy about a month ago. I have been cleaning my bike weekly (with muc off and degreaser) and applying wet lube once a week. But a week ago, after a day's commute in heavy rain, my chain had been completely coated in rust. Can anyone tell me how this can be? Also I can't seem to get some of the rust off.

I am sure I have been cleaning my bike properly, I didn't have this problem on my old chain. What has gone wrong? Please help!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Either the rain was heavy enough to strip most of the protective lubricant from the chain or your local authority gritted the roads a few days before the rain.

Or a combination of both.

Some conditions are just better at making your chain rusty than others. Give it a good wipe and relube and it should be fine. I wouldn't worry about a bit of surface rust on the sideplates of the chain.

The Jayler

I think you may be degreacing your chain too much. I've only ever wiped my chain with a rag after riding as it's important not to remove the greace from the chain links as this helps for a smooth chain. I've never had a rusty chain untill last month and i'm convinced that was because of all the salt on the roads and i didn't ride my bike for a couple of weeks.
Too much greace on yur chain is what attracts the muck so dont over lube it, wipe off excess.
Thats what i've done for years now with out a problem. Good quality chain helps too.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

Thanks for the ideas.

The chain is pretty good quality, I don't think it is that.

I'm not sure if its too much degreasing. I do degrease it once a week, but I always reapply plenty of lube once the chain is dry. However I haven't been wiping off the excess lube, could that contribute to rust?

I never considered it could be the salt on the roads, i'm thinking this may be the most likely cause.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
While I rarely completely degrease a chain on a road-going bike I do regularly do it on my cyclocross bike- mainly to get the mud and sand and stuff out of it. It doesn't appear to make it prone to corrosion as long as it is lubricated (or at least WD40'd prior to later lubrication) after cleaning.

jimboalee

I NEVER degrease a chain.

When it gets cruddy, I use a stiff bristle brush to remove most of the kak, and then spray with furniture polish.

Surprisingly, I don't get rust on my chain.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

jimboalee said:

When it gets cruddy, I use a stiff bristle brush to remove most of the kak, and then spray with furniture polish.

Why do you never degrease your chain? Surely its fine to do if you relube it afterwards.

The Jayler

What makes a chain run well is one that has a good ammount of lube in the and around the pins by the links. If you degrease too often you wash this out, not making the chain as good as it can be. A chain goes all oily because the the excess grease on the chain sides collects the dirt. I probably degrease my chains (road) about every 6 months but always wipe away excess lube after applying. Lube on the side of the chain serves no purpose.
My money on a rusty chain at the moment is the salt on the roads.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In the winter slightly stickier lubes like Finish-Line Green (Cross-Country) also tend not to get washed-off so easily. In the winter you can't have too much lube IMO.

bad boy

Über Member
jimboalee said:

Jimbo does the furniture polish lube the chain aswell as provide a protective layer against water etc ?.

why do you prefer this to say a purpose made lube from finish line or someone ?.

Just interested.

bad boy

Über Member
Anthony said:
Why do you never degrease your chain? Surely its fine to do if you relube it afterwards.

I have learnt the hard way also search for threads around the Mickle method and you will read as much as you need to know.

My degreaser does not get used at all now due to this.

Top Bottom