Why is riding on the footpath an offence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paspie

IMO if people aren't confident to cycle out on any legal road they shouldn't be allowed to drive either.

It's not that cycling is dangerous or hostile, it's that most people want to drive cars places. It's that simple. They know that if cycling reached a critical mass that the number of cars could be driven down to a comfortable level, but they don't care, because they want to drive. As cyclists we need to learn to accept that we are not a priority and ensure that our relations with other traffic are as smooth as possible.

On another note, if I had kids I would certainly teach them to walk down a road like the A5, because if they could cope with such a busy road they would be fit to cope with anything. And parents should think the same way for young cyclists. You can choose whether to think of motorists as a threat or users to get along with.

Paspie

I'm not a cyclist because I'm not driving one right now. I'm only a cyclist when I'm physically on a bike.

I hope you're not browsing the forum whilst being a cyclist, that would be pretty dangerous.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As cyclists we need to learn to accept that we are not a priority and ensure that our relations with other traffic are as smooth as possible.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here... but I'll have a try at paraphrasing it (AKA, putting words in your mouth)

as a cyclist, i should accept that the car is king of the road, and as a cyclist, i should ensure i don't get in the way of a car.​

I've probably grabbed the wrong end of the stick, but as i say, it's unclear what you're saying.

Paspie

[QUOTE 3155013, member: 45"]A5 - how old?[/QUOTE]Over 90 years old; the designation probably dates from the early 1920s.

Paspie

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There are a lot of people who don't have the confidence to ride on the roads, I know I was one of them 8 years ago. Doesn't matter what it is, if you haven't done it before generally you lack confidence. Now put that together with a knowledge that people can be killed on the roads and it is understandable that they are wary of going on the roads.

Paspie

You are supposed to be wary because you are more vulnerable than others, that is in our nature. Whether I'm a pedestrian or cyclist I'm going to take the necessary precautions because of that.

Dan B

Disengaged member
[QUOTE 3155061, member: 30090"]No, no, no. Divert the thread onto the topic of Green laning and let the fireworks begin.[/QUOTE]
Have the fireworks been carbon-offsetted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom