Why is riding on the footpath an offence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mobi

I am not saying one should ride on footpath in crowded London streets, but there are footpaths in other parts of country where you hardly see any pedestrian most of the time.

Don't you think law should be updated?

No

Yes, I suppose it's a shame that on some of the quieter, wider footpaths where it would be safe they don't do something like put up a sign to let you know. It could be a blue sign with, say a bike and a person sharing the path or something.

Worth considering ;-)

Last edited:
Cycle paths are a death trap to pedestrians, period, they should be outlawed forthwith, wheels belong on roads not paths who ever came up with the idea of sharing a path with a vehicle that can kill someone wants shooting, I rode a couple yesterday and boy people really have no sense, cyclist that is, and today I saw the worst RLJ I have ever seen cyclist are a death trap.

Cycle paths are a death trap to pedestrians, period, they should be outlawed forthwith, wheels belong on roads not paths who ever came up with the idea of sharing a path with a vehicle that can kill someone wants shooting, I rode a couple yesterday and boy people really have no sense, cyclist that is, and today I saw the worst RLJ I have ever seen cyclist are a death trap.

The problem there would be with the cyclist rather than the cycle path.

A simile could be drawn with roads, cycles and lorries. Lorries can be a death trap to the more vulnerable cyclists, but the problem there is the lorry drivers, not the roads.

Cycle paths are safe if the cyclists using them realise they are now the most dangerous vehicle on them, and it's for them to look out for the pedestrians. If you want to go faster than allows for this, no probs - get on the road!

For what it's worth I rarely use shared paths for the above reason (I want to travel faster), however I have friends who feel safe tootling along safely with the pedestrians.

KneesUp

Guru
There is a shared use path I use regularly, and it's ridiculous - pedestrians don't expect bikes to be on it, even though it's signed and painted red, so they wander all over it and quite often scowl at you no matter how slowly you go - presumably because they think you are riding on the pavement - which of course you are - it's just a red pavement with a sign saying it's for pedestrians and bikes.

The fact that it's a fairly steep hill and is crossed by the entrance/exit to a car park that goes on to a one-way street (so drivers don't always look both ways) and that entrance/exit has bushes obscuring it make it particularly exciting.

That said I'd like to think no-one would object to you cycling along an otherwise deserted footpath next to a busy road.

The problem there would be with the cyclist rather than the cycle path.

A simile could be drawn with roads, cycles and lorries. Lorries can be a death trap to the more vulnerable cyclists, but the problem there is the lorry drivers, not the roads.

Cycle paths are safe if the cyclists using them realise they are now the most dangerous vehicle on them, and it's for them to look out for the pedestrians. If you want to go faster than allows for this, no probs - get on the road!

For what it's worth I rarely use shared paths for the above reason (I want to travel faster), however I have friends who feel safe tootling along safely with the pedestrians.

Only if they let themselves be, but a lot of cyclists dont realise how dangerous the speed they can travel at can be, nor the danger of undertaking so many things, so maybe as motorists point out it is time for some legislation, I am against it but something needs to be done for the idiots on bikes.

[QUOTE 3142785, member: 45"]How many deaths?[/QUOTE]
Has it ever been recorded, but the behaviour of cyclists I have seen in the last month mainly on paths is worse than any I have seen from motorists. i am not the greatest cyclist and I mean from a safety point of view not performance, but I actually feel safer on the road than any shared path/cycle lane I have ever used, but then I @CopperCyclist I drove HGV's for a living, it peoples lack of understanding of how the other uses the ROAD that is the issue that needs addressing.

There is a shared use path I use regularly, and it's ridiculous - pedestrians don't expect bikes to be on it, even though it's signed and painted red, so they wander all over it and quite often scowl at you no matter how slowly you go - presumably because they think you are riding on the pavement - which of course you are - it's just a red pavement with a sign saying it's for pedestrians and bikes.

The fact that it's a fairly steep hill and is crossed by the entrance/exit to a car park that goes on to a one-way street (so drivers don't always look both ways) and that entrance/exit has bushes obscuring it make it particularly exciting.

That said I'd like to think no-one would object to you cycling along an otherwise deserted footpath next to a busy road.
I would its against the law, you want motorists to get it right, let us start getting it right, but we can't the problem doesn't lay with the likes of most us on here that actually care but with those that dont' and i think you know the bike riders I mean, but seeing a woman on the phone in a sleepy village on her bike, is that right when car drivers can't (but do I know)

The "Danger" is often irrelevant

The proportional difference in speed is what gives people a "perception" of danger

If a pedestrian walks at 3 mph and a bike passes at 6 mph, the differential is insufficient to cause concern, however at 12 mph, the differential is 4 fold, and this will seem fast and unsafe.

To the pedestrian, a perceived danger is real enough to cause concern

The other point about the "Law" is interpretation..

In 1999 the then Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued the following guidance:

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

This is still being seen as relevant and practical advice

U

User6179

[QUOTE 3142848, member: 45"]So it's not a death trap then.

You'll find that it shared use works well across the country, with minimal problems and certainly not at the level of risk to pedestrians that you claim.[/QUOTE]

You have obviously have never ridden a pavement in a suburb of Glasgow , lets say take your bike to Easterhouse and ride along the pavement in full Mamil apparel then report back!

U

User6179

[QUOTE 3142908, member: 45"]You're reducing it now to a particular set of circumstances.

Care to quantify the "danger" to pedestrians?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, in my scenario the danger is to the cyclist!
Thought the argument was " pavements are a death trap"

U

User6179

[QUOTE 3142915, member: 30090"]Whilst anecdotal a lot of cyclists I see on a shared path ride at a speed meant for the road and do not adapt to the conditions.

Prime example is on the commute with a road through hyde park closed all cyclists are now diverted onto a shared path. Very few lower their speed treating the peds with utter contempt, underaking with no call. ****ers the lot of them.[/QUOTE]

Yes but can you quantify the dangers to pedestrians ?

Sorry misterpaul :tongue:

fabregas485

I tend to find that some times people do not notice they are walking on a shared bike path, so they tend to get a shock when someone cycles past them or end up shouting at the cyclist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom