Why is riding on the footpath an offence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 3143142, member: 30090"]The speed of scooters is limited....[/QUOTE]
some can be quite reckless though.... sometimes 8mph is too fast.

MontyVeda

I think pedestrians are to blame for not knowing how to use shared paths. They tend to walk using the full width of the path and people with dogs with extending dog leads are the worst! Those leads are lethal as usually, their master is on one side of the path and the dog on the other, with that thin lead between the two.
This is a perfect example of someone who doesn't know how to interact with others... the trick is to 'proceed with caution'. :thumbsup:

byegad

Legendary Member
Allow legal riding on the footpath and you have taken a huge step towards us being banned from roads.

We are the traffic!

Remember this and insist on roads fit for cyclists, horses AND motorists. Anything else is the thin end of a wedge that would see us banned.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Allow legal riding on the footpath and you have taken a huge step towards us being banned from roads.

We are the traffic!

Remember this and insist on roads fit for cyclists, horses AND motorists. Anything else is the thin end of a wedge that would see us banned.
And, particularly in rural areas, roads fit for pedestrians too.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I know it's a cycling forum but there are some real cycle-centric views of the world here (as expected I guess).

As far as I can make out cars and all other motorised transport are a PITA despite the fact that without them we would be back in the 19C pretty damn quick. I accept they need to be cleaner but the continual demonising of them is way OTT.

Horses & their riders are a PITA. Dogs are a PITA. Pedestrians are a PITA.

Roads need narrowing at the cost of billions to benefit cyclists.

We need punitive motorised traffic speed limits to benefit cyclists - although on no account must cyclists be expected to obey the limits And we mustn't dare mention enforced helmet wearing to bring cyclists into line with other road users (motor cyclists).

We are now asking for cyclists to be allowed on quiet footpaths that walkers like myself actually like to use because they are quiet.

Where's it going to end.......?

Seems a tad biased to me.

Sara_H

Guru
I am not saying one should ride on footpath in crowded London streets, but there are footpaths in other parts of country where you hardly see any pedestrian most of the time.

Don't you think law should be updated?
Whats needed is proper cycling infrastructure that would allow everyone age 5 - 95 to cycle safely without breaking the law.
Our roads are very often not safe for inexperienced cyclists. Especially very busy roads or complicated junctions. In these situations I often take to the pavement, particularly if I'm with my son who is 11. One stretch we regularly cycle the pavement is as you describe - a busy dual carriageway, speed limit meant to be 40mph, but majority breaking that by at least 10mph extra, no cycling provision, deserted pavement along side. All the times we've ridden doen there we have never seen a pedestrian, but to put myself and my son where we should be legally would be suicidal.
Sadly our roads have now been dominated by motor vehicles, which have been prioratised for many years now. Until safe infrastructure is provided for me and my child I'll continue to break the law.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not riding down pavements at 20mph skittling old ladies out of my way - we ride slowly, carefully and give a wide berth or stop for anyone on foot. If its a busy pavement we get off and walk.

PK99

Legendary Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm not riding down pavements at 20mph skittling old ladies out of my way - we ride slowly, carefully and give a wide berth or stop for anyone on foot. If its a busy pavement we get off and walk.

unlike many pavement cyclists i encounter in SW19 - one of these days i will simply stand my ground and let the aggressive pavement cyclist bounce off my shoulder

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Every side wants a bias towards them, it's human nature.

We need to devise schemes to enable the different groups to co-exist together as safely as possible. Up till now one group has tended to be prioritised above the others, hence why we need to redress the balance, especially as it is biased to the most dangerous form of transport.

Sara_H

Guru
unlike many pavement cyclists i encounter in SW19 - one of these days i will simply stand my ground and let the aggressive pavement cyclist bounce off my shoulder
LOL, don't cut your nose off to spite your face, though I get your point, I often stand my ground with feckless drivers in situations where I'd no doubt come off worst if they didn't give in!

The Boeteng guidance and it's recent re-issue (if thats the correct term) is a bit of a mixed blessing in my opinion. It's a acknowledgement that our roads aren't safe for cyclists, yet fails to properly address the situation.
I don't want to ride on the pavement, its slow going and a pain in the arse, but very often the favoured alternative to the very hostile environment on the road.

byegad

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3143264, member: 45"]Nonsense.[/QUOTE]
I've considered your well thought out rebuttal. And reply.

No!

MontyVeda

if 20 mph speed limits in urban areas were widespread and properly enforced, then the pavement may cease to be the sanctuary of safety that many cyclist perceive it to be.... just a thought.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3143349, member: 45"]They'd have to change the law first.[/QUOTE]

True, but if motorists find themselves limited to 20mph and have cyclists overtaking them, the scope for resentment increases (see various discussions on Richmond Park)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom